Hi, has anyone else suffered from smelly gas over the last week? We had guests staying with us last weekend and the gas heater had smelly gas fumes coming out (not like normal) from Friday night, and we had to turn the heater off as we were feeling sick from the fumes and had headaches as a result. Can you imagine how we felt having guests feeling cold in the middle of the coldest weekend this winter?
I think this is probably the gas company using cheap gas mixed into the normal high-quality gas at a time of high usage to make extra profits by using cheap smelly gas.
I tried calling and they passed me off to someone else who didn't answer the phone after hours. This is NOT good customer service by a supposed reputable Aussie company!! It is also despicable that we are charged for smelly gas when we need heating most! Tonight it is still smelly and we had to turn it off again.
Solved! Go to Answer
Welcome to the AGL Community.
If there is a strong smell of gas coming from any appliance then it is likely that it is leaking gas. It's imperative that you cease using this immediately as this can have serious implications to your health. Additionally, it can also lead to excessive gas usage which will drive up the total cost of your next bill.
We encourage you to have a gas plumber attend to the appliance, or replace it all together.
It is not a gas leak. When the appliance is turned off there is no smell. This is a Rinnai portable space heater and there is always a small slight smell from the gas burning, but this is ridiculous and smells like kerosene or something as the heater is burning the gas.