Shocking and outrageous Gas bill

Sisir
Semiconductor
1 Reply 9524 Views

I've moved into this house in mid-March 2019. We're a family of 2 persons and don't use gas/ electricity excessively. Gas is used for cooking, and the Hot Water System. Also cook only once a week. However, I started receiving shocking gas bills all on a sudden.

My account shows that we consumed only 899 MJ of gas for 1st 43 days (19 Mar - 30 Apr), whereas all on a sudden started consuming 6,969.23 MJ for 16 days (01 May - 16 May) and 16,282.82 MJ for 31 days (17 May - 16 Jun), which shows insane gradual increase !!! The bills are respectively $128.99, $173.15 and $397.40. Surprisingly the meter reading strats from 651 m3, whereas till to date it shows 641 m3 !!! Does it make sense in anyway???

I raised the issue with AGL Team and requested not to debit my account until the issue get resolved. AGL informed me that the matter is under investigation and I don't need to do anything at this moment. Even day before yesterday when I talked to one of their representatives over phone, I was assured that I won't be charged before the matter come to a logical conclusion. Then on what basis I have been charged, whereas provided concrete evidence of anomalies in meter reading? However, yesterday my account got debited with outrageous amount of $397.40. Since my last email to AGL in this regard, I haven't received any feedback from them.

I have also gone through AGL community discussion portal and found that same thing happened to many other customers as well. Therefore, I don't have any doubt to say that it is a matter of serious concern, credibility and trust. In reality, people are getting fooled in the name of estimated bill. I cannot pay for meter reader's mistake.

I have other expenses and bills to pay as well. Therefore, I want my money back into account at earliest. Can you guys from AGL team please explain???7059 464 409 # Gas Meter Reading.jpgGas bill summary.JPGMeter Reading Discripancy.JPG
4 REPLIES 4
jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 9509 Views

Hi Sisir,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Can I ask if you live in an apartment complex? It sounds like you may have an 'MDL' meter which is out of alignment. As a result, your meter readings are being estimated.

Kind regards,

Jayden

Sisir
Semiconductor
1 Reply 9506 Views

Hi @jayden_AGL 

Yes I live in apartment. But I have no idea what is 'MDL' meter and how to fix the meter reading issue. Today I discussed this matter with Strata and I was advised to raise the concern with supplier (AGL). Other than suppliers no one can have access into the meter reading room because of health & safety concern. 

Besides, you haven't explained why my account got debited when the issue is still under investigation and when I can get back the money.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks,

Sisir

jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 9501 Views

Hi Sisir,

MDL meters are commonly used in apartment complexes in NSW and transfer data through telephone lines. If there is an fault within these telephone lines, then estimated readings will be returned unfortunately. You can find more information on page 10 of this document if you're curious.

Our customer service team are very capable of having these matters resolved and will be happy to address your direct debit concerns at the same time. You can reach them here.

Kind regards,

Jayden

Sisir
Semiconductor
0 Replies 9489 Views

Hi @jayden_AGL 

As you advised before, I reached out to your customer service team. On last Monday, once again I discussed in detail this matter with one of your representatives named "Rittik", please see Conversation Reference # 1613886569. As per given information, to discuss this issue yesterday AGL Conflict Resolution Team was supposed to give me a call back in between 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM AEST. Please see Case Reference # 1613886541.

However, I did not receive any call from AGL. I am really frustrated of such reluctant customer service experience. Until my issue didn't get resolved, I can't mark any of your reply as a solved answer.

It appears that I should not expect any positive outcome from AGL. Therefore, can you please advise possible further course of action from my part?

Thanks,

Sisir