General

Want to discuss something that doesn't fit in the other areas? This is the place.

Want to discuss something that doesn't fit in the other areas? This is the place.

Front gate left open

Switched-on

Last Wednesday my brother was working around the house and noticed someone with a tablet next door taking a reading.  When he next came into the front yard one of our front gates had been left open.  Having had issues in the past, I immediately thought "AGL gas meter reader" - we'll get a bill shortly.  As we have a cat that likes to sleep in the front yard, open gates is something we like to avoid.  The bill gas has arrived today.  Why is it hard for the meter reader to close the gate?  Isn't it common courtesy?  What sort of training in good manners do they get?  Not good enough!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Front gate left open

AGL Moderator

Hey TonyL,

Thanks for your post!

We agree, this is common courtesy and I'm sorry that this has occurred! To clarify, your gas meter is read by a meter reader hired by the gas distributor in your area and not AGL. With this in mind, you'll be best served providing this feedback directly to this company.

You can use the distributor look up tool located here to confirm who this is if you're not already sure!

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Switched-on

Thanks for your reply Jayden.  When I put our postcode in to find the distributor, it came back with "Unfortunately, we are unable to identify your Gas Distributor", giving me options of how to search further, such as looking at the bill.  The bill has only AGL on it, including "Useful Information - AGL Anytime".  I find it interesting that AGL can sub-contract companies to 'distribute' their gas but don't seem to take responsibility for how these companies act.

AGL Moderator

Hey TonyL,

Thanks for your reply!

Your distributor is not sub-contracted to AGL in any way and we both serve very different purposes. As your energy Retailer, we are responsible for arranging the connection of electricity and/or gas to your property, sending you bills and looking after your energy needs. Your Distributor, who again is independent of AGL, owns and is responsible for the electricity poles and wires, gas pipes and meters in your area. They're also responsible for distributing the energy to your property. Because of this, your Distributor will remain the same regardless of which Retailer you sign up with.

If you have found our website unhelpful, you can use this resource provided by the AER as an alternative.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.