General Ideas and Feedback

Feedback - carbon

Switched-on

Here's my idea - stop bombarding me with drivel and just concentrate on supplying reliable electricity at the lowest possible cost.

I don't want to hear about being 'carbon neutral' or 'minimising my carbon emissions'. I can make all my own decisions about how I wish to live and consume and don't need your patronising and vapid contributions.

For a start we don't emit 'carbon' - presumably what your are rabbiting on about is carbon dioxide - essential for life on earth but believed by some to have deleterious effects on the atmosphere. The evidence is mixed, and as the lengthening real experience of measurements against the theoretical outcomes of the climate models now shows, is getting weaker.

And if I was 'carbon neutral' I'd be dead anyway.

So if you are going to use our money to preach to us, you might at least try to be accurate and honest in the language.

But overall -  just shut up and focus on your core purpose.

1 Comment
AGL Community Manager
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @customer10 , thanks for the comments.

In discussions around emissions and climate change, "carbon" is commonly used as shorthand, both for carbon dioxide, and even for other types of greenhouse emissions, such as methane and nitrous oxide.  Outside strictly scientific contexts, this shorthand usually suffices, but I'm sorry that you found it confusing.

You can find AGL's stated purpose outlined on the Our Company page: 

At AGL we have a passionate belief in progress – technological and human – and a relentless determination to make things better for you, our communities, the Australian economy, and our planet.

Like you, we believe that the world is going through extraordinary challenges. We don’t shy away from the tough questions, we consider the answers carefully, and we take action to shape a better future for all.

We’ve constantly evolved over 180 years. Today we bring all that know-how to transform how Australians produce, share and consume energy. We’re investing in new ideas, partnerships and infrastructure – renewing and expanding our portfolio of sources and products to make them more sustainable, reliable, affordable and useful.

We’ll continue to innovate in energy and other essential services to enhance the way Australians live, and to help preserve the world around us for future generations.

Part of this purpose means that AGL accepts the overwhelming scientific evidence for anthropogenic climate change, and we remain committed to playing our role in the pathway to a modern, "decarbonised" energy generation sector. You can learn more about that here, if you wish.

While we have recently introduced a carbon neutral option to our plans, this remains an opt-in choice for customers. Response to this addition has been very positive, but it of course remains a decision for individual customers to make.