Financial Support and Assistance

Am I eligible for the Utility Relief Grant (URG) Scheme?

0% helpful (0/1)
‎28-05-2020 12:22 PM

If you’re a residential customer living in Victoria and unable to pay your utility bills due to a temporary financial crisis, you can apply for the URG Scheme. Financial assistance to cover energy costs may be provided to low-income households suffering a short-term financial crisis (within the last year) who are unable to pay for a current utility account.


Dual energy source households (electricity and gas) will have access to a URG scheme cap of $650 per fuel over two years.


Single energy source households (electricity only) will have access to a URG scheme cap of $1,300 over two years.


You can apply multiple times over a two-year period until the total cap amount is reached.



Eligibility is based on the following criteria: 

The customer must demonstrate that unexpected hardship has left them seriously short of money so that they cannot pay their utility bills without assistance and are at risk of disconnection, and meet one of the following:


  • A significant increase in usage.
  • A recent decrease in income, for example, loss of employment.
  • High unexpected expenses on essential items.
  • The cost of shelter is more than 30% of the household income.

Customers must either hold one of the following concession cards or meet one of the special conditions described below:

  • Pensioner Concession Card - issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs.
  • Centrelink Health Care Card.
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card - (for recipients of Gold All Conditions, War Widow or War Widower, Totally and Permanently Incapacitated rate or Extreme Disablement Adjustment rate pensions).

A concession can only be claimed if:

  • The energy account is in the name of the concession cardholder
  • The supply address is the domestic primary residence of the cardholder and
  • The energy account is billed on a domestic tariff.

    Special conditions for non-concession card households:
  • The household's income must be no more than the Commonwealth Low Income threshold.

Check your eligibility

Want to check if you are eligible? Try our online tool that helps you find financial assistance options.
Create your action plan here:


For more information regarding Victorian Energy concessions and rebates, please call the Department of Human Services Concessions Information line on 1800 658 521 or visit the Department of Human Services website:

Was this article helpful?

Version history
Revision #:
7 of 7
Last update:
‎28-05-2020 12:22 PM
Updated by: