Energy Management

Looking for tips or advice on energy efficiency around the home? See what others are doing or share your experience!

Looking for tips or advice on energy efficiency around the home? See what others are doing or share your experience!

how much of a difference does a star rating make on a fridge freezer in run costs

Switched-on

hi

i wondered if anyone has any ideas on how much a year a star saves on a major appliance.  i am looking to get a new medium size fridge freezer - but should i get one that is a 3 star or one thats a 4 star. the 4 star is about $200 more but is it good business for me to get that one? ie whats my payback time on the reduced energy consumption?

although i recognise its obviously better for the planet and my soul to get the 4 star one!

d

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: how much of a difference does a star rating make on a fridge freezer in run costs

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @TingleTree, welcome to the AGL community.

Thanks for the great question! A medium size fridge-freezer with an energy rating of 3 stars will have a 10 year running cost of roughly $1250-$1300, whilst a 4 star fridge-freezer will have a running cost of around $950-1000. Over a 10 year period you could expect to save around $300 for going ahead with the 4 star fridge.

Finally, the initial $200 investment for the 4 star fridge would be paid back in just under 7 years. For your pocket and for the environment, yes the 4 star is the better option!

Feel free to jump on the government's Energy Rating Calculator - a very handy tool for calculating energy usage of different appliances around the home.

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!

Re: how much of a difference does a star rating make on a fridge freezer in run costs

Switched-on

The older the fridge the more you will be paying. This website is all the details! http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/refrigerators.html