Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

switched from Gross Meter to Net Meter. Don't understand new bill.

Visitor

I was under the impression that when we switch from Gross metering to Net metering we would be using our own solar energy we create before using the grid. My new bill has a new meter number added with different Kwh. However under the New charges and credits heading everything seems the same as a gross meter bill. We even have a feed in tariff, which surprises me as I thought we would be still taking from the grid. I can't seem to find a net metering bill online to look at and compare.

3 REPLIES

Re: switched from Gross Meter to Net Meter. Don't understand new bill.

AGL Moderator

Hey Belinda,

Thank you for your post!

Making the change from Gross to Net metering will not see any change to your AGL bill. As the power that you generate and use never passes through your meter, it is not something that we're able to record or bill you for, nor should we!

The best way for you to get an idea of how much of your own power you're using would be to check your inverter. Your inverter will show you a figure of how much power in total your system has generated, as well as a figure of how much of this you've exported to the grid. The difference between these two numbers will be the approximate amount of power you've used within your household.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Visitor

Hi Jayden ,

i am similarly frustrated and confused with this and the call centre was patronising to say the least .  I understand what you’ve said but if I’m using the power from my panels first , and if I use more than they generate  I pay for the additional power from the grid . Why then do I also have a feed in tarrif credit amount ? Surely it’s not possible to have both ? 

AGL Moderator

Hi Jimidix,

Thank you for your comment!

If your bill shows that you've exported power to the grid, then this suggests that your solar system was generating an excess of power on at least one occasion during the billing period.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.