Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

electricity accounts - supplied information

ash
Switched-on

can you please explain why the account no longer supplies the start and end readings for each billing period ?

giving the amount used might be convenient, but it demonstrates no transparency as to the accuracy of the actual numbers used to calculate it, nor possibility to compare them to current meter readings

also, on the "snapshot", can you please add the total usage for the bill reading, as currently it is nowhere on the account whatsoever - i need to manually add the three (or when you change charges, six) unit totals ?

it is entirely more user friendly to the consumer to make easily available in the snapshot:

• meter start reading
  • meter end reading
  • total usage
  • average daily usage
  • average daily cost

equally, defining the hours considered peak / off peak / shoulder would be simple to document on the bill where these terms are used, and convenient for me to know as a reminder each bill

final comments :

my last bill was for a 92 day period, where we used 976.42+437.195+304.006 kWh (see what i did there regarding ease of comparisons of bills?)

long story short - for the 92 day billing period you told me average use is 8.06kWh

sorry, but 1717.57/92 = 18.67

i hope whoever calculated that isn't using whatever technology they used to calculate the kWh readings you supply from my meter, because i have no easy way to confirm supply detail accuracy, and it makes me just a little bit concerned given the maths i can check is out by a factor of > 200%

thanks for any clarification or confirmation you might modify your supplied information appropriately

3 REPLIES 3

Re: electricity accounts - supplied information

Alumni

Hi @ash, thanks for your post! On the back page of your electricity bill, there should always be a start read, end read and your total usage. It will also state if this is an actual read or an estimate. We have a neat Bill Explainer tool on our website which explains where all this info can be found. We also have all of the information about your distributor's Peak, Shoulder and Off-Peak periods on our website, under the Fact Sheets page.

If you would like to provide feedback about the snapshots and how the bills are laid out, you can leave your details in our Support Form and we'll pass it along to our team! In the meantime, be sure to let us know if you have any further questions or if there is anything we can clarify further. 🙂

If you see a helpful post, give it a Kudos. It's like a High Five, but better!

ash
Switched-on

sorry, but that information regarding readings is not correct

i tried to cut and paste a screenshot of page 2 details, but suffice to quote :

Energy Plan: Savers
Meter Read kWh
no. type
52919 Actual 976.42
52919 Actual 437.195
52919 Actual 304.006
Your electricity usage is measured by an interval meter, this means that you will not see a start or end
reading on your bill. Instead, the total amount of your electricity usage is shown. Your next meter
read is due between 13 Jan 16 and 19 Jan 16. Please ensure easy access to your meter on these
days."

so no, there isn't always a start and end read, and as such i have no idea whether the stated use is a fabrication, as there is no possibility of confirming the numbers

surely this should be a mandatory requirement to support the derived numbers ?

Alumni

Thank you for the additional info on your account, @ash. You're absolutely right - interval meters do not show a start or end read on the bill, only the amount of energy consumed. The bills will be calculated using intervals of data recorded when your distributor (Ausgrid) performs the quarterly meter reads. There is lots of really helpful info about interval meters, including photos and a summary of how they operate, on the the Ausgrid website.  

Although you will no longer find the start and end reads on your bill, you can check the accuracy of the data by manually reading your meter. The details on how to do this can be found on our Knowledge Base article, under the heading Can I still take a reading from my digital meter? With regards to the figures displayed on the snapshot on your bill, they are listed as an average. We apologise that they are not as accurate as your own calculations. 

We hope this answers a few of your questions! There are digital meters that can be read remotely, and allow customers to track their energy usage in real time. If you're interested to find out more, please don't hesitate to get in touch! 🙂 

If you see a helpful post, give it a Kudos. It's like a High Five, but better!