Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Why is our AGL Account in One Name when the House is Jointly owned

Newcomer

Our AGL account is in my wife's name, whereas our house in owned by both of us.

I do not understand WHY the account billing was set up this way. Why not set it up in both names??

The reason I am frustrated is that I have a pensioner concession card in my name, but my wife does not have a card.

The AGL call centre rep told me that in order to change the name from her name to mine (to gain the concession), the meter would need to be read and we would need to pay a connection fee.  WHY.

To compare the stupidity of utility providers, our water account is in both our names and the gas is in mine name.

Surely there has to be a simpler way of doing this which does not breach privacy.

Someone with brains and logic, please help. 

4 REPLIES

Re: Why is our AGL Account in One Name when the House is Jointly owned

Hey melbmarco,

Thank you for your post!

I'm sorry to hear that our billing processes have caused you this frustration. To clarify, it is a requirement that AGL accounts be in a single name for credit reporting and privacy purposes. It is also a requirement of the department of human services that the names on AGL accounts strictly align with primary name on the relevant concession card. However, to avoid this meter reading fee, the account can be placed into your name retrospectively which will also has the added bonus of your concession benefits being backdated.

If you'd like to arrange for this to go ahead, we'd recommend that you get in touch with our web chat team here, or call through on 131 245 and request to speak to our 'Resolutions' team.

Kind regards,

Jayden

Newcomer

Jayden

Thank you sincerely for your simple explanation and solution.

It is a shame that this information was not provided to us initially.

Leave the rest to us.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Not a problem at all, happy to help!

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if there is anything that we can do to support you further.

Cheers,

Jayden

Newcomer

Jayden

Please go ahead as you proposed.

Thanks

Mark