Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Why is hot water 50% of my electricity bill when only 2 people live here ?

Switched-on

Each electricity bill I receives gives an estimated breakdown of what I am using the electricity on. Each bill, AGL says I use at least 50% of the bill on hot water, yet there are only 2 people in the house.

Is it normal to use 50% of power on hot water ? What could be the reasons for such a high level of use on hot water ? 

I note there is a booster switch in my switchboard- and its turned on . Could this be incurring extra costs that I dont need ?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Why is hot water 50% of my electricity bill when only 2 people live here ?

Switched-on

I have reduced the number of showers from daily to just TWO per week, to reduce power consumption.  Heating is wood fire, cooking is gas, lights are turned off when not  needed, TV is only on when there is FtA cricket to watch,  besides the hot water for the shower only the refrigerator is run by electricity and it is a near new unit, but my power bill is INCREASING !!  What else can I DO ?  According to AGL,s one web site, the cost for postcode 2350 should be about $140 p.m., i.e.$420 per quarter, but my most recent bill is $1-20 short of $700  !!!!

Incidentally, I don't know what percentage is hot water.  These computer things are beyond me. I am a 72 yo partly physically disabled Pensioner.  I would like to live at least CLEAN.