Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

What do you think of Bill Smoothing?

Conductor

Hi, just want to express my opinion here being as AGL cannot be emailed directly, maybe they will read this? I quite like bill smoothing, except for one thing - I want to be able to say what I think I should pay. To this point, I recently got gas hot water installed and knew my gas payment would increase, so I had a chat online with AGL and they agreed to increase my payment to $40 per fortnight which I knew would cover my  bill. However, I then received mail from AGL saying we think your payment should be $16 p.f.  which was the amount it was before I tried to increase it. Mmmm, so today I received my bill and guess what? If they had allowed my choice of $40 p.f. I would now owe them nothing, but as they did not I owe an extra $168.00.  My payment of $40 p.f. would be have been dead on the correct amount owing.

So, as a customer who wanted to PAY MORE why not let me?  It is their loss not mine because I am on bill smoothing I don't have to pay the extra. Now they say can we put your payment up to $45? Sure can, but maybe next time AGL, you might LISTEN to the customer's opinion.Woman Wink

Would you like to be able to chose your amount? Post here if you have an opinion please. They just might listen.

Cheers all!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: What do you think of Bill Smoothing?

AGL Moderator

Hi lightspirit,

Thank you for your feedback!

You make a very valid point here. Can I please clarify if you're using your AGL My Account to set up your Bill Smoothing, or if you did this with a customer service representative?

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Conductor

Hi jayden, here is a screen grab of the chat I had when I changed it, only to have it changed back!
If only it could have stayed at $40 p.f. I would now owe nothing, seems crazy doesn't it... I understand the way bill smoothing works, but I did the chat to explain I had a new gas hot water system and knew my  bill would be more, who decided to change it back I have no idea.
Interested in your thoughts on this topic, thanks
lightspirit

The following is a record of my online chat. ( I have deleted my personal info for privacy...)
General Info
Chat start time Tue, 28 Aug 2018 15:14:35 +0930 GMT
Chat end time Tue, 28 Aug 2018 15:24:53 +0930 GMT
Duration (actual chatting time) 00:10:17
Operator Roy

Chat Transcript
AGL: Thanks for choosing AGL Webchat. 
We'll connect you with the next available agent.

AGL records chat conversations for training and quality purposes. Our privacy policy provides more information on our use of personal information.

AGL: Please wait whilst we connect you with Roy.
Roy:
Welcome to AGL Energy, this is Roy. How can I help?
You: Hi Roy, I want to put my bill smoothing up more than what is suggested, it will not be enough..
You: I want to make it forty dollars a fortnight, not sixteen as suggested because we just had a gas hot water system fitted, can you help me do this now?
Roy:
I will help you increase the bill smoothing amount.
You: thanks
Roy:
In order to access your account may I confirm your full name, account number along with your registered mobile number?
You: I did have it at $45 pf but was a lot in credit a few weeks ago and told to drop it and now I have seen the bill it is more than I thought it would be...
You: Yes doing details now...
You: (deleted account info for this post)
You: (deleted info for this post)
You: back in a min
Roy:
I have increased to $40 fortnightly from $10.
You: I hope this will be enough to cover the bill, it seems very high as I only have a gas fire until I got the gas hot water on Monday
You: It seems strange that I was $200 in credit and had to drop it and now I am behind!
You: thanks for doing this will you email me the details please...
Roy:
You are welcome. Sure I will sent you the details emailed.
Roy:
You can save or email our transcript by clicking the + button (left of your text box), then on the menu that appears choose save or email transcript.
You: OK Roy will do thanks for all your help today
AGL: Your chat transcript will be sent to: (deleted)  at the end of the chat.
You: Have emailed the transcript, thanks again Roy and bye for now 😉
Roy:
Happy assisting you.
So Jayden, you can see I did try but a few days later I got email saying we have changed your bill smoothing back to $16 p.f. - go figure!  Thanks for your interest. Do you agree if I want to pay more I should be able to?
Thank you,
lightspirit

AGL Moderator

Hi lightspirit,

Thanks for getting back to me.

To answer your question: Yes! You should absolutely be able to pay whatever you feel, provided your bills are covered of course.

It's important to keep in mind Bill Smoothing works by spreading your estimated yearly energy costs over small, regular instalments. As a simple example, if your energy bills totalled $1200 last year, then your payment amount would be $100 per month when starting out with Bill Smoothing. If your usage is higher some months than others, then it pay feel as though you're underpaying your account for some periods.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.