Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

VIRUS in AGL email alert!

Superconductor

I received an email today from "AGL Electricity" with the subject "Account Overview"  (screenshot attached). It looked sophisticated and despite my usually suspicious mind I clicked on the "View Information" button. I was then offered to download "my bill" which was in an attachment containing a .ZIP file containing a file with the extension .JS - not a .PDF file as expected. My virus checker then had already flagged this file as containing a virus (screenshot attached)

Screen_001 28-09-2016 13.10.jpg

Screen_001 28-09-2016 12.54.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: VIRUS in AGL email alert!

Retired AGL Moderator

Hey @quarkpower, thanks for alerting us to your experience.

We are aware of a number of scam emails circulating at present, and yours does appear consistent with these. You can find more information about the emails via this Community post. Despite the fact that your virus scanner has blocked the file, we do advise that you do not interact with the email further and you delete it from your mail server.

Let us know if you have any more questions and we'll be happy to help. 

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!
Highlighted

Switched-on

I've received this email which looks fishy too, screenshot below. agl.png

Highlighted

Retired AGL Moderator

Thanks for flagging @Resh_B. You are correct in assuming that this is a hoax email. Best to not interact any further and delete this from your server. Let us know if you have any questions.

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!
Highlighted

Conductor

I have had this one - the give away is in the Sender's email address, see from your picture below, FROM: AGL Energy Online [mail to: aklimkowski@ohlzs.plTHIS IS NOT FROM AGL. 

The Genuine AGL Bill is from agl@energy.agl.com.au (although this may vary slightly with state or product)

Palpatine is not an AGL employee and his comments are entirely his own, but if this has been of assistance please tap on the "Like" button.