Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Tariff charges

Powerhouse

I may or may not be the only one but here in South Australia I have not received any communication, snail mail or email advising me of the new tariffs that took effect 1/7/2016. Looking at the tariff I have been put on which is Solar where there is only one tariff on offer, it looks like my rates have gone up around 13-16% depending on summer/winter etc.

Nol matter who I ask on your chat line no one really seems to know the answer to what I think is such a simple query, my tariff shows as 4000KWH per annum but I don't believe for one moment I can get to 4000KWH before going to the next peak charge. Indeed, when I look at previous invoices, all monthly, it looks like I get charged the next peak at 330 to 350KWH, so I am guessing the tarrif is based on perhaps lucky dip at a monthly figure, so perhaps for my benefit and no doubt others, for us here in SA with say Solar where it states first 4000KWH are at peak and remainder is at Peak next, how does Peak and Peak next actually work, mathmatically, what is the exact formula?

Other retailers like the one the RAA promotes shows as 3-4 peaks based on a daily basis, not per annum, so to compare one should know how AGL actually does there peak etc. calculations, can someone break it down for me?

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Tariff charges

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @BWSS.

The price changes were communicated externally via various media outlets, and were also available on the home page of our website prior to the changes on July 1. You will be notified of your new rates with your next bill. We also have an online tool to determine your new rates available here - My Prices.

In regards to your tariffs, the 4000 kWh per annum is broken down into daily amounts - your first 10.9589 kWh per day (4000 divided by 365) is charged at the peak rate, and usage thereafter is charged at the peak next rate. Head here, enter your postcode and find the contract applicable to you and the rates will be broken down further for you.

Happy to help if you need any further clarification.

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!

Powerhouse

Nope, all good Jeremy, I don't know why AGL simply don't publish the rate as 10.9589KWH per day, makes more sense to me, be thst as it may, thanks for the explanation.

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Retired AGL Moderator

Appreciate the feedback on this @BWSS. Let us know if there's anything more that we can clarify for you.

Powerhouse

I have searched the website and can't seem to find what I am now looking for but am sure it stated somewhere that AGL have to give us 10 business days of impending tariff changes, this includes the actual rate change, That being the case I did search for new rate rises and could not find any until after 1/7/2016 and the fact that you say it's on various media and on our next bill, does not hold water in my eyes. Customers should be advised of the new rate 10 business days prior to the day of chage which gives us time to digest, compare and decide to go or stay with AGL.Please correct me if I am wrong?

I also note that the media, as you say, did state price rises and that you were the first, it did not state any actual tariff rate, probably as AGL did not put them on their website until after 1/7/2016, surely that's a breach of confidence with consumers?

As I am a member of the RAA I can switch to Simply Energy and enjoy a lower base rate, fixed summer and winter tariff on the same rate plus 30% off, I would love to stay with AGL but I don't know I can trust AGL anymore.

Jeremy, I do welcome your thoughts.

Rob

Retired AGL Moderator

For our Standard Retail Contract customers public notice must be given 10 days prior to the effective date, and a notice to the customer must be given no later than the next bill. For our SA customers a notice was placed in the Adelaide Advertiser on 15 and 16 June, and the new rates were provided on our website 10 days prior via this page (make sure your location is selected in the top right).

For our Market Contract customers (of which you are one) the regulations require that you receive notice of the changes no later than the next bill, unless your contract states otherwise.

The introduction of our new fees have also been displayed on our website from 16 June via the website linked in the previous post - www.agl.com.au/MyPrices.

Hope this clears it up for you @BWSS.

Powerhouse

Hi Jeremy, not quite but perhaps getting close. On the bill received it does state the short cut of MyPrices but when I or any customer goes to your website, and the point I was making, apart from the shortcut mentioned on the bill can you advise were the actual menu item is that states or points to the MyPrices, in other words and you do state it was there since mid June how does the average visitor to your website find, easily, the MyPrices, I have gone through all the menus I can see and can't spot it, but I will stand corrected.

My point being, did AGL on or about mid June advise it's customers of were their new pricing would be displayed on your website?

Rob 

Retired AGL Moderator

The link for the SRC page was provided in the public notices, and the MyPrices link has been provided for all customers with their next bill - with this and the above-mentioned methods we've met our obligations in terms of rate change notification requirements.

Powerhouse

Hi Jeremy, there is implied obligations and there moral obligations, we as customers should be notified, well in advance, not by us having to figure out and look for public notices, nor waiting till a next bill arrives, it would have done AGL no harm to email us all that the rates are going up, these are the links to see our new tariff, I think AGL have behaved badly and as such, much as I liked AGL and their software etc. my fingers will be doing the walking to Simply Energy, lets hope they are not as bad as AGL when it comes to ethics.

Retired AGL Moderator

Completely appreciate all the feedback you've provided on this Rob and I've fed this through to the team for consideration for future rate changes. We also appreciate you as a valuable customer and would like to touch base with you to discuss this further.