Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Solar feed in tariff rates and refunds

Semiconductor

I am now on an Aged Pension and considering installing solar panels on my house.  If my rate of power generation exceeds my useage does AGL pay me cash for the surplus over or above my consumption and how does the pension effect this?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Solar feed in tariff rates and refunds

AGL Moderator

Hi Rodanne,

Thank you for joining the AGL Community!

When you have an active solar system at your property, if your system generates more power than is being used within your property at any given time, the surplus is exported to the grid. When this occurs, our customers receive a rebate per kWh known as a 'Feed-in Tariff'.

In addition to this, if a customer with a solar system exports (sells) more power than they import (buy), they will not be eligible for their concession discount for that particular billing period. 

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Semiconductor

Hi Jayden, does the Aged Pension qualify me for a concession and if so how much does this amount to for Gas and Electricity?

We currently live about half of the year in Australia and the other half overseas so my original question was taking into account that for the 6 months that we may be away we will obviously generate more power than we would be using.  So in light of this would we receive a cash rebate or simply credit toward our next bill?

When you refer to "selling" as apposed to "exporting" or buying, is the concession that we would not get the concession for the Aged Pension?

AGL Moderator

Thanks for getting back to me, Rodanne!

As a holder of this card, you're entitled to a a 17.5% discount off your household electricity bills, as well as a 7.5% discount off your gas bill from 1 May to 31 October each year.

Any surplus power exported to the grid is credit to you on each periodic electricity bill, however you can request that this amount be refunded to you automatically should you prefer. And yes, in the case that you export more power than you import as a dollar figure, you would not be eligible for your pension concession benefits for that period.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Semiconductor

Thanks Jayden, that answers all my questions.

Highlighted

Switched-on

Just wondering if the feed-in tariff also applies if you install a second hand solar system 3.3KW by a licensed installer?  And if so how much would this tariff be for a NSW residence please?

Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Hi Lj99,

Thanks for messaging us and being apart of the AGL Community!

The current feed in tariff for NSW is 10.2 c/kwh in conjunction with our market offers. We also have a Solar Savers plan which has a feed in tariff of 21 c/khw, but does not include the lower rates/discounts. 

Your solar installer will need to apply for approval when connecting to the grid, so they will be able to tell you if you are eligible for the standard rebates. 

Regards,

Jenna 

Highlighted

Semiconductor

At the moment AGL are paying me 14c per kwh. Others are offering 20c, This is a considerable difference at the end of each quarter, Ask AGL for the Tariff you will be paid first,