Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Smart meters supplied by AGL - customer beware

Powerhouse

Now here is an interesting one, I will stand corrected if wrong, but, we now know AGL are doing a rollout of digital meters into SA, for free, sounds great as a digital meter has many features to give you better control of useage etc. I wonder why they are free though, mighty generous offer!!!!!!!

I like most did not opt out, and when it arrived I was excited, it gave me software tools to play with.

Then came the bad news, as explained to EWOSA, as below when the last jump in AGL's pricing was over the top and got to me.

I figured I did all my homework on digital meters but never thought it would be a problem to switch retailers, AGL were very smart in not mentioning that part to me or no doubt any customers of theirs. 

To EWOSA:

Good afternoon,

Further to the below, I am trying to switch from AGL to SimplyEnergy and today Simply Energyinform me that they cannot do so as my smart meter, supplied by AGL can only be read by AGL as that is how it has been set up, SAPN inform me that they cannot alter their manual reading route to include my home as they only do it for older style meters or SAPN supplied digital meters, AGL have already informed me they will not change back any digital meter to a manually read meter so I feel I am stuck between a rock and a hard place where I cannot move away from AGL, the fact that AGL excites SA into stating it’s doing a rollout to all SA homes in the near future with all the goodies a digital meter has to offer, is good but it negates to advise that once you’re on the new meter your stuck with it and AGL, that makes it misleading and deceptive, not good.

I have advises EWOSA who will also be in contact with you.

I should add, as EWOSA suggests, that AGL should go via the ministerial act and get a manual meter put in so that SAPN can read it, or, my idea, AGL to organise and pay for SAPN to immediately put in their own digital meter so that SAPN can remotely read and advise the reseller of the meter reading.

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Smart meters supplied by AGL - customer beware

AGL Moderator

Hi @BWSS

As I understand you've lodged a case with EWOSA, unfortunatley we can't intervene at this point. A case manager will be assigned to handle this one and work towards a fair and reasonable resolution. 

Apologies I couldn't assist any further.

Powerhouse

And a case manager has been assigned and I  have got for the second time a text stating I have to ring your 1300 number, no doubt wait in line and from then on when I finally get through, it's all verbal, nothing to prove as to who said what to who, so again I asked for email/written correpondense and no doubt for the second time it will all fall on deaf ears, it really annoys me that AGL choose their policy on what is best for them, not the customer. It's not good Nathan...........not good.

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Powerhouse

I have been assigned again a new case manager and I know this one well as he rang last week and the phone conversation was good and it seems there is a glimmer of hope that there will be a resolution this week, just awaiting a reply now so hopefully I can give Kudos to someone very soon, I can't close it just now as I would like it left open to report on the solution, not in detail perhaps.

AGL Moderator

Hey @BWSS

Case manager here! I'll be getting in touch with you this afternoon, I'm just following up with relevant departments to get some final peices of information and I'll be in touch!

Powerhouse

'Case Manger here'  you made me smile, will await.

Rob

Powerhouse

Hi Nathan,

I have to make this comment public so everyone understands what is going on. When you told me there was absolutely no problem, anyone can switch and it will work you mentioned all your info came from Active Stream who are a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL and others within AGL, as I mentioned, that did not give me any comfort as no one so far has actually talked to Simply Energy nor to the SA wholesaler, SAPN, SAPN are quite adamant that they cannot read you meters nor any desire to install your software to read your proprietary meter.

I am wondering if I am the very first person in Australia to have one of your meters installed and then to wished to switch to another retailer who gets their 'reads' from SAPN, it is quite possible. Secondly, if I am not the first or in any event, AGL must be aware of a customer(s) here in SA leaving AGL in favour of another and having an AGL digital meter installed.

I would welcome hearing from any SA residents who have an AGL digital meter and want to switch, and their experiences.

Rob