Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Smart Meter incorrect? Reading issues??

Switched-on

Hi - my power bill has jumped by more than triple in the last 6 weeks. I'm on monthly billing, have a smart meter and I think the meter is wrong! I have been taking photos of my meter every few hours, and my meter reading is changing by less than 4kwh a day - but according to the AGL app - we are using 22kwh - 50kwh a day!!! How can that be? Can anyone explain to me how to read the actual meter - maybe I'm reading it wrong (although seems pretty straight forward)?! I have screenshots of the meter and app if anyone wants to see? Please help!!

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Smart Meter incorrect? Reading issues??

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @NicoleN

To be able to best answer your question, I will need your account details to investigate what is happening. 

Can you please send myself a private message with your account details and I will get back to you as soon as possible. 

Thanks! 

Highlighted

Semiconductor

Good to see I'm not the only one.. I'll have to physically check my meter tomorrow but according to AGL I've been using basically double electricity since they installed my 'smart meter'. Smiley LOL

Highlighted

Switched-on

we have the same problem except i got a $50,000 bill and they insist its correct what a joke agl is its been going on for years and people dont check their bill because they assume the gas/electricity company is honest when really they have been stealing from people for a long time its only when the bill is really high that people notice and check to find mistakes and overcharges my bill are ridiculous.

Highlighted

Switched-on

we have also taken pictures of our metre which is a completely different reading to agl's reading and they are procrestinating to solve the problem they keep sending more bills and threats along with it.

Highlighted

Conductor

I have just recently fallen into this same trap with the smart meter. I believe it has been wired wrong, all my renewable energy is being charged as energy used and the energy my house is using is being credited as feed in energy. I just went out for 2 hours and had everything turned off, my meter said I used 4kw and I fed into the grid 0.2, I look on my inverter app and presto, the solar panels made 4kw in those 2 hours...

how do I go about getting this resolved?

Highlighted

Switched-on

Hi , our bill for  May 2019 - Aug. 2019 was excessive , its never been that high since we install solar on the roof.   I called  AGL and they said send us photos of the meter readings. Nothing has been done , I am waiting for a credit or some thing . Feeling very Ripped off.