Accounts and Billing

Have a question about anything relating to an AGL account, product or service? Search for answers here or start a discussion.

Highlighted
Drop in

Smart Meter and Feed in tariffs

Hi,

We received a card from AGL stating that a smart meter couldn't be installed with a handwritten tick box "Too small to fit meter".

I take it to mean that our meter box (in our old house) is too small for the new meter to fit in.

My question now is:

1. What next? Do I need to find someone to replace or put another meter box? Or can AGL do that?

2. Meanwhile, what happens to our feed in tariff?

Thanks

12 REPLIES
Insider

Re: Smart Meter and Feed in tariffs

Morning Anne,

No doubt your post will be seen by the moderators here who will ask for you to private message them with details like your account number etc. that way they can better deal with your questions. My experience has been that if AGL cannot fit a smart meter in your allocated space then probably no one can, they often work 'miracles'

I am also assuming that you now have solar, that being the case I have no idea why the solar installers would install without the presence of a smart meter already installed. Did AGL install the solar in the firsr place?

It may also be that a smart meter may not be required, in older homes here in SA I do know the meters installed can actually stop or go backwards meaning the one reading obtained covers the FIT in a different manner, end result is the same.

I'll keep my eye on this post as I would like to know how it all pans out for you.

This snippet I spotted may also help: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/solar-panel-households-told-smart-meters-not-compulsory-as-bonus-scheme-en...

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Hi @Anne

We would certainly need to look at your specific circumstances, so could you please send me a private message at your earliest convenience, with some account information, as the notes on your account may shed some light on the situation. Thanks!

Drop in

Hi Rob,

We had solar panels installed 6 years ago and our old meter was replaced by a smart looking meter then (by the installer). I know that our meter box is old and small and the installer told us then that they weren't sure if it would fit but the electrician they had managed to make it work.

I was going to contact our installer to ask them about storage options, maybe upgrade panels as well and check their pricing (to compare with AGL) - so I'll check with them re: meter they installed.

Thankfully I used an established electrical company who are still around!

Regards,

Anne

Insider

Hi Anne,

Can I ask which state your in?

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
Drop in

I'm in New South Wales (Sydney region)

Drop in

Update:

I spoke to my solar panel installer and they will have a look to see if the meter box can be re-arranged so that a smart meter can be installed. I also sent account number info to the moderator to see what AGL comes back with.

And no, we don't have a smart meter, just one that allowed time of day metering (I thought that was smart enough!)

Insider

I know a fair bit now on my home state of SA but other states have different rules/ideas etc.

Rob

Insider

Hi again, there is also a similiar post I read where that customer also had to rearrange the meter board, it was not a cheap option either, at one stage I was in the same position where I nearly had to have a new meter box, that was close to an arm and a leg, cost wise.

Getting more that one quote is a very good idea!!

Rob

Drop in
Solution

UPDATE 2: All Sorted

I heard back from my solar installer and they had actually installed a net meter in 2011 when the panels went in so I don't need a smart meter as the one I have will do. And I should be getting my solar feed-in billed on a net basis.

I had a closer look my last bill (blling period 7 Oct to 8 Jan) and the feed in quantity in the 8 days of January averaged less that 1 kWh/day while the previous days in 2016 averaged > 2 kwH/day.

No smart meter or meter box rearrangement required.

So why didn't the AGL contractor say so (or don't they know what a net meter looks like?)