Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Questions on Digital Meter upgrade

Conductor

Greetings (I also sent these in an email, buth thought other might be interested also)

I have a few question regarding the free offer to install a Digital Meter:

1. How much notice do I get for when the technician will be disconnecting the power?
a. I have a lot of electronic equipment in the house that may need to be shutdown first
2. If I switch energy providers, does the meter need to be changed again?
3. If I switch energy providers, will they still get the transmitted consumption or do they need to visit to collect the data?
4. What happens to my old meter that I had to pay to install?
5. Are you able to provide the model/brand of the meter that will be installed?
6. I don’t have an Android or iPhone that can use the AGL energy app (Windows Phone) can I still access this information from a web page instead?
7. Can I still access the “Solar Command” data if I am no longer an AGL customer?
8. How much is the Solar Command subscription after the free 6month offer?
9. Is it possible to read the meter/consumption details directly from the meter using Bluetooth or WifI from my own computer?
10. Will the meter be compatible with any battery storage system I may install in the future?

Thanks

Scott.

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Questions on Digital Meter upgrade

Powerhouse

Which state are you in Scott and what sort of meter is it that you have right now and have you got solar allready and right now how often is your current meter read?

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Conductor

NSW

i-Credit 400 (Ausgrid)

Yes I have Solar

Quarterly

I currently use PVOutput for my solar logging, and I was using a Wattson consumption meter before it failed. It would be great if I was able to capture the consumption from the new meter.

Powerhouse

Hi Scott,

I'm just like you, a customer and when AGL offered me a digital meter for free I jumped at, but in many ways I should have done better homework, no one gives something for free that is in the interest of the receiver. I'm in SA so some of what I say may not be factual as I don't know the rules and policies pertaining to your state and circumstances. This is my experience and in some cases my whole street.

1. How much notice do I get for when the technician will be disconnecting the power? They say you get notice but if you’re not home they will just go ahead and change meters over, no big deal, for you it's really like getting a power failure.
    I have a lot of electronic equipment in the house that may need to be shutdown first. If your home is that sensitive then I’m surprised you’re not using a UPS to protect from power failures.
    2. If I switch energy providers, does the meter need to be changed again? Hmmm, this is where I got into lots of trouble. In SA the safest bet was a meter installed by SAPN, the default for most households as it’s a Manually read interval meter, so no matter who is the retailer, all can read and give you quarterly billing. You don’t get any on line 30 minute reads like in a smart meter but you can use Efergy or other meters, single or 3 phase to monitor your usage, nowhere near as good as AGL’s IQ software.
    3. If I switch energy providers, will they still get the transmitted consumption or do they need to visit to collect the data? In my opinion no because that is where I fell into the black hole, so, do your homework, decide on who you might change to, ask them if they can read the AGL transmitted data, not one in SA was the slightest bit interested, in my case I wanted to switch to Simply Energy but the only way forward was argue my case of being locked in to the AGL Active Stream meter was to get AGL to liaise with SAPN and get the meter changed at AGL’s expense to one SAPN supplied that Simply Energy or pretty well any other retailer could read, yes, I missed out on AGL’s great software but to me a small price to pay for independence to move around to get the best deal.
    4. What happens to my old meter that I had to pay to install? I would put even money that you only actually only paid for the installation of the meter, you do not nor will ever own a meter, just a fact of life, besides, what use it to you, you can’t sell it and you certainly cannot get it installed by an electrician.
    5. Are you able to provide the model/brand of the meter that will be installed? AGL will advise you on that but it will be one supplied by Active Stream, a subsidiary of AGL.
    6. I don’t have an Android or iPhone that can use the AGL energy app (Windows Phone) can I still access this information from a web page instead? Yup, it’s called the AGL IQ, very good software.
    7. Can I still access the “Solar Command” data if I am no longer an AGL customer? AGL will answer that one but if you shift away from AGL I seriously doubt another retailer will be able to give you the info you want, and, you would have signed up for, I think, 3 years, no refunds…………
    8. How much is the Solar Command subscription after the free 6month offer? AGL will advise you but it’s on the AGL website along will all the terms and conditions.
    9. Is it possible to read the meter/consumption details directly from the meter using Bluetooth or WifI from my own computer? Nope, I tried that idea, Active Stream won’t allow it, you can read it manually, in my case on my supplied meter it could not distinguish the actual usage with the Efergy meter I purchased, as there is one figure only, usage, it cannot distinguish between usage, solar usage and solar feed in unless I had major rewiring to do reads on all three figures. I’m told you can install a pulse meter that measures the red light flashes but I don’t know how good or effective they are.
    10. Will the meter be compatible with any battery storage system I may install in the future? I doubt the meter would be a problem, the problem would lie in your setup, particularly the inverter. Mine is a SMA sunny boy and luckily with some extra hardware, not cheap, it will support the say Tesla Powerwall.

Hopefully AGL will shed more light via their solar experts but get it all in writing and I can’t stress enough, do your homework, talk to other retailers, also consider, if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it.

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
Highlighted

Conductor

1. I am running a UPS, but I only get around 30 minutes runtime before it does an orderly shutdown... so it's not critical, but I'd like to know when they are doing it so I can be sure everything comes back up again. 🙂

3. I'll setup my own consumption monitor again if I need to, but switching providers is more a question around that provider reverting to manual readins, or if the "meter owner" continues to provide them that data (regardless of how the meter owner collects it)

4. I paid for installation, but also had to "pay" for the new meter. I know I don't "own" it, and would have no use for it, but I wonder if there is a credit/refund/deposit or something that was attached to the current meter that I get back

6. So it's a standard web site or software I need to install on my PC? Do you know if I can connect to it using an API/remotely with my own tools or scripts?

8. Didn't think to check if they had the price on the site... bloody hell, $15/month for 24 month subscription.

On the point you mention, if it aint broke, I am very much inclined to kindly decline the offer unless there is some compelling reason they can give for why this is for my advantage and not theirs. As you discovered yourself and I'd like to avoid, I don't want to start getting myself "locked in" to anything at this point.

Hopefully AGL will give me some more official responses. I did get an acknolwdegment email from them, but no answers as yet.

Powerhouse

Mornnig Scott,

Sometime very well buried, other times easy to spot but generally most all questions have solutions somewehere, I even notice moderators pick on some of those questions and post them here, not a bad idea.

Normally queries no matter how petty or intricate are answered here, in a timely fashion, often on their days off and sometimes on weekends, yours are fair and not nasty so it's surprising that you have not received a reply as yet..........

With Question 6, on the new meters I do know it's password and etc. protected so buckleys of getting data via your scripts and I can see it's done for a good reason, control of geeks as well as malicious intervention.

Rob

Retired AGL Moderator

Hey @Scott,

Apologies for the delays in getting back to you here - you'll find answers to your questions below. Happy to answer any further questions you may have.

1. How much notice do I get for when the technician will be disconnecting the power? I have a lot of electronic equipment in the house that may need to be shutdown first.

We send out a letter two weeks prior to the installation informing of the impending upgrade - unless the customer is at home, and when there are no access issues, the tech will automatically upgrade the meter (which will disconnect the power for a short period). 

2. If I switch energy providers, does the meter need to be changed again?

The meter data is available for all retailers to read.

3. If I switch energy providers, will they still get the transmitted consumption or do they need to visit to collect the data?

Your distributor will not need to visit the site to collect the data, this will continue to be transmitted wirelessly to your distributor.

4. What happens to my old meter that I had to pay to install?

It will be recycled. The charge that you've paid is for installation and labour - the meter will always be the property of the local service provider.

5. Are you able to provide the model/brand of the meter that will be installed?

Depending on the difference phase within the property, the deploy model would be one of the following:

• EDMI Atlas MK7A2
  • EDMI Atlas MK7C
  • EDMI Atlas MK10D

6. I don’t have an Android or iPhone that can use the AGL energy app (Windows Phone) can I still access this information from a web page instead?
Correct - this information is accessible via AGL IQ. Login to your AGL online account (or register, if you're yet to do so) and head to the AGL IQ page.

7. Can I still access the “Solar Command” data if I am no longer an AGL customer?

As long as you're subscribed to the portal,you'll be able to access your Solar Command with another provider.

8. How much is the Solar Command subscription after the free 6month offer?

Give us a call on 1300 377 118 and we can give you a personal quote on the subscription moving forward.

9. Is it possible to read the meter/consumption details directly from the meter using Bluetooth or WifI from my own computer?
No, this is not possible - apart from the LCD screen on the meter showing the current meter read, meter/consumption details can only be viewed via AGL IQ or the app.

10. Will the meter be compatible with any battery storage system I may install in the future?
Yes, fully compatible.

If I've helped you in any way, feel free to give me a Like!

Powerhouse

Without putting too finer a point, I will re-iterate what I previously said, it's up to you Scott to do your homework and ask the simple question to whoever you think you might decide to switch too in the future, or, emil or ring some of the larger retailers for peace of mind.

3. If I switch energy providers, will they still get the transmitted consumption or do they need to visit to collect the data? In my opinion no because that is where I fell into the black hole, so, do your homework, decide on who you might change to, ask them if they can read the AGL transmitted data, not one in SA was the slightest bit interested, in my case I wanted to switch to Simply Energy but the only way forward was argue my case of being locked in to the AGL Active Stream meter was to get AGL to liaise with SAPN and get the meter changed at AGL’s expense to one SAPN supplied that Simply Energy or pretty well any other retailer could read, yes, I missed out on AGL’s great software but to me a small price to pay for independence to move around to get the best deal.

Conductor

Thanks Jeremy,

1. Regarding notice, are we given a speicfic day and a time, or approximate window of time when they will be coming?

2. Does the way this meter measures consumption and solar production/excess differ to how my current i-Credit digital meter works?

3. Are there any changes to tarrifs or account service fees?

4. Is it possible to programatically access the Solar Command data? e.g. have my computer connect using an API/web query to export the data, or it is only visible using the web interface.

Conductor

BWSS,

I checked with some other energy providers and they have said they have no issues getting the consumption data. I don't know if SA do things differently, but it seems that being a "meter provider" is a seperate thing to energy provider. Just in this case AGL happens to own the company that provides the meter management service.

As for the AGL software... it looks interesting, but if $15/month is there normal price for a subscription I'll probably give it a miss.