I received my last gas bill in horror to see that my daily hot water usage had increased 1500% from a daily usage of 28 Mj to 421 Mj.
The bill says this was based on an actual meter read and strangely coincides with the replacement of the hot water meter in my unit.
Note - I live in a unit block where the meter is normally remotely read from the central unit in the basement. There is no reason for the hot water usage to spike up this much and no-one else in our unit block has experienced this sort of increase.
I suspect this has something to do with Jemena ( who replaced the meter at their insistence ) having taken the end reading off the old meter in the unit vs the start reading from the remote unit in the unit block basement.
AGL 'customer service' are saying the distributor is responsible for the readings and I have no avenue to challenge this ! I have been trying to get some satisfactory resolution from AGL customer service for the last 2 weeks with no success and am at the end of my tether.
I'm looking for someone with some common sense to intervene if possible before I go to the Ombudsman. HELP !
Thank you for getting in touch!
This increase in usage definitely sounds alarming. There could be a few different causes of this, but did you by chance take a reading of the previous meter shortly before it was removed?
Unfortunately I did not take a meter reading as we were focussed on ensuring the meter replacement under the sink did not result in leakages as others in our community have experienced. Now the meter has gone - we have no evidence to challenge this excessive reading. The new replacement meter is reading fine now that Jemena came back to correct the sync to the central basement reader. The other gas meter ( non hot water ) was also out of sync with the basement reader which makes us think the old hot water meter ( which displayed the excessive reading ) was out of sync with the basement reader also.
Thanks for getting back to me!
To confirm - was it just one bill that you saw a spike in your usage? Or was it a number of bills?
It was just one bill that was the most recent one that covers the period of the meter changeover. It seems I'm at the mercy of the reading performed by the plumber that changed over the meter and AGL takes that as gospel.
As an update on this case, i managed to find a person with common sense in the resolutions team who has made an adjustment to this bill. Just waiting to see the next bill to confirm the adjusted reading on the new meter has taken effect.
Moral of this story ...keep pushing to get the right response...the truth is out there!
It's great to hear that you've been able to get things moving in the right direction!
If you find you need any further assistance, please send me a private message and I'll be happy to help wherever I can.