Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

New Gas connection

Conductor

Hi I am applying for a new gas connection for a existing townhouse. I would like to know who is responsible for the actual meter installation as I have spoken to Jemena and they are telling me the owner is reponsible for the meter installation and a path valve.

Here is the response from Jemena

Connection to a single path valve in Street. Once we have been advised that the path valve has been installed and the certificate of compliance (CoC) has been received with the leak test portion completed, we will allocate the job to the contractor. The property is located near a high traffic road controlled by Roads & Maritime Authority (RMS). As a result, Jemena is required to submit a Traffic Management Plan which requires RMS approval prior to work commencing. A lead time of up to 8 weeks is required for connection once the offer has been accepted. Connection must take place after hours.

While on the AGL site

Types of installations.
• A service line and gas meter installation is where there is no existing gas line connected to the site, and both the service line and meter are required.
• A meter only installation is where there is an existing service line installed, and only the physical meter installation is required. If you are unsure of the gas line installation, please call AGL.

Does this mean AGL will provide the install?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

Re: New Gas connection

Powerhouse

It's always good to see a post here were the person posting gives full and complete info on the problem, it sure makes it easier for AGL to find the solution.

When I see words like 'As a result, Jemena is required to submit a Traffic Management Plan which requires RMS approval prior to work commencing' all I can see is dollar signs unfortuntely, people direct traffic etc. good luck in getting a quick reply that's economical !!!

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi Thay. Thanks for your enquiry in regards to the gas connection. Happy to confirm with our New Connections team as to what is required. Can you please provide either your AGL account details or the address of the property via private message, so we provide the correct information at this time.

Conductor

Hi address is , on another note the next door neighbour is also a set of townhouses and I don't see any path valve on the boundary.

It would be great if I can get consistent information on what I need to do to get this connected.

Thanks

Powerhouse

First of all, urgently edit your post to not include your private address, if you don't I'm sure a moderator will do it for you, secondly, I'm just like you, an AGL customer, I try to help if I can, but the AGL staff often have access to info more than I to help you.

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Powerhouse

Probably Catherine ommitted to ask you to Private Message her, it's the safe way to keep your informate private.

Rob

Powerhouse

Another suggestion to get a quicker solution is from a recent post I spotted..........it also might help

please call us on 131 245 right away (we're open 24/7) and we'll look in to this for you. 

Conductor

Hi Thanks for the tip.

Like I said I looked at my next door neighbour and they don't have a path valve installed even though they are sets of townhouses, so why do I need one?

Powerhouse

Hi, I can't answer that one, it's up to the experts, I can recall in my own experience that legislation does change, not for the better often, in my case with Electricity, in SA, it changed, forcing home owners to install an isolator switch between the house and the meter, on the meter board, maybe legislation has changed to now have owners install a path valve, probably due to safety concerns. Maybe AGL or Jemena have the answer, perhaps you could Google say, 'why do I need a has path valve in,,,,,,,,,' 'whichever state your in'?

Powerhouse

'Why do I need a gas path valve' actually came up with several answers, mostly pointing to Jemena, happy reading!!!

Rob