Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

My incredibly high electricity bill from AGL

Conductor

My monthly electricity bill has always been a really nice & low amount of around $60 because we are a small household & I also have gas as well as solar panels, so I got a terrible bill shock when I received 2 bills this month totalling more than an unbelievable $900!

What a ridiculous situation!  I flew to the phone & was told that somehow all my bills since I began with AGL in August,2015 had been reviewed & it was decided that the estimates must have been wrong & the $900plus was the total amount owing for the last 15 months! I reminded AGL that I had paid each bill as it came in throughout that time, so they apologised for not deducting the $550 I had paid. This meant that I now owed approx $259.

I asked why this happened..why someone decided to "start all over again" & considered my estimates had been wrong. I received no reply to my question. I was repeatedly told that I needed to listen to their explanation. Luckily,

the customer service officer finally came up with the idea that the new smart meter I had received 4 months ago might not be working properly. AGL would look into things and I should ring in about a week to see how things are going. My 2 incredible bills totalling $900plus would be "crossed out" & no amount of money would be taken out of my bank account until this is sorted.

Yet, when I look at my AGL account I see the bills still there with the direct debit dates alongside them.

I can't stop thinking about this mess ever since I received the bill. It's driving me crazy.

I will immediately go to another electricity company when this saga is finished & will complain to the energy ombudsman in a week's time if it's not resolved by then.

My daughter who is also with AGL has had the same sort of issue & her nightmare has been going on for weeks.

Looking up my bills on the computer I see

12 REPLIES 12

Re: My incredibly high electricity bill from AGL

Powerhouse

Hi Lachlan,

If your now with AGL and using their smart meter supplied by Active Stream, a subsidiary of AGL then you would be able to login via your pc or smart phone to AGL's IQ software which enables you to see some really good up to date and historical data on daily/monthly usage etc. as well as your on line bills.

I can't understand though, with or without the IQ that when you received your monthly bills and they were no doubt shows as 'estimated' why it did not ring alarm bells, after all, one way or another you will pay for your electricity, better to do it monthly as less bill shock?

Considering you also have solar, like me I used to look at the monthly bill to make sure I was using the generated power during the day were possible rather than the feed in tariff rebate which is not economical.

No doubt the moderators here will look at your post, probably suggest your private message (PM) them with your account number so they can look deeper into your query.

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @Lachlan. We are very sorry to hear that you are experiencing kind of issue with your monthly billing and AGL.  If you wouldn't mind sending a private message with your account details, we would like to investigate further. 

Thanks

Highlighted

Conductor

Thank you, BWSS.

It's nice to see that someone cares & tries to help while I'm going through this frustrating & sickening process.

I might have not made myself clear enough: I always looked at each monthly bill since I began with AGL in August,2015 & was happy that the bills were fine, whether estimates or actual. I had no worries at all and carefully kept an eye on each electricity & gas bill as it came in. I paid $550 in total throughout the period August 2015 until October, 2016.

The ridiculous thing is that AGL has "wiped out" all my bills & somehow decided to redo everything & issue me two bills amounting to $900plus for the entire period of 15 months, without even deducting the money I had paid throughout the year!

Since speaking with the solutions team, I have been told they will look into things.

Please understand that there were no alarm bells ringing. I simply received 2 emails advising that my 2 new bills were available for me to view on my account on my PC. I could not even look at any other bills because they were simply no longer there.

Thank you again and best of luck to you.

Powerhouse

Hi again,

Here you come across a wide variery of people, some need the obvious pointing out, others know what they are doing, obviously your in the lattter. Over the years I have had lots of dealings with AGL, some not so good, some very good, I learn along the way and pass on what is helpful.

Estimates are about the worse way to go, just guesses, some good, but most not so good, the only estimates I allow are on my gas when I give them my readings weekly and and on the last days of the month an estimate often sneaks in but it's of no consequence.

AGL, like anybody has the right to bill you, credit you and in some cases wipe the slate clean and start all over again, with a new bill to cover a large space of time, often that bill cab be displayed as broken down into a zillion credits making it a nightmare to read and reconcile.

I left AGL here in SA to go with Simply Energy and that in it's self was a nightmare, so unless you are moving to save money, think again about dumping AGL, sometimes it's better than the devil you know.!!

Verbals when you ring don't always go the way they should, I like this area as someone gets to know your query and follows it through.

If you look at all the forums and complaint posts about various retailers, Origin Energy are probably the worst, for someone as large as AGL they have a very low percentage of complaints, you can get the ombudsman involved but I can assure you it takes longer to solve and you cut off the communication between you and AGL, that prolongs the result.

Good luck!!

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Powerhouse

I often re-read posts and it just sunk in when you said all invoices were wiped out, I'm assuming that as each monthly bill came in you printed them out, right?

Secondly, you have the meter on your side in that it's easy for you to read your meter yourself which gives you more comfort.

Something you may not like to read, because of heavy automated computerisation and noting AGL did not apply any payments to your account as well, it would not be worth AGL's reputation to try to diddle you in any shape or form, after all, if there was a fiddle, not saying there was, who would gain, certainly not an employee, I guess the resolution team and Catherine will sort it out, from your perspective though I would think your ahead financially, for now!!!

Rob

Conductor

Thank you, Rob.

I like your advice...especially letting me know about the ombudsman delaying things. I've been incredibly lucky in that I've never asked for assistance from an ombudsman, so didn't know.

It occurred to me to ask AGL to cease direct debitting my bank account asap to prevent the huge sums coming out of my bank account..with one due on 18th November..to try to prevent having to chase after a refund.

All the best to you. Thank you again.

Conductor

Thank you again, Rob.

I did save & print off most of the bills throughout the 15 months...so that gives me something to work with..all's not lost..I hope.

Powerhouse

Strangely, and in my case, my refunds were processed and put back into my account overnight which impressed me, I did have a helpful moderator in my corner but you seem a rational person, staff go out of their way in any organisation to help rational people, get them off side and things suddenly go very slow, I think it's called human nature.

If they stop your DD etc. you may jeopardise any rebates or discounts with pay on time, just a thought, bye for now!!

Rob

Semiconductor

Hi could i request your help also? Last month i received a bill for 480 dollars, family of 3. (fair call we had the aircon on) But i have been a power nazi for the last month and its come through at 260 dollars for a month. It cant be right.