Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Metering Capital Charge

Semiconductor

Hello there, just received first bill after having digital meter installed. Can anyone explain what the metering capital charge and the metering non capital charge is?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Metering Capital Charge

AGL Moderator

Hi @RC - The Metering Capital and Non-Capital charges are not new fees, they were instead previously covered under the daily supply charge. The charges were seperated from the daily supply charge in order to provide you with more transparency in relation to metering costs.

The Capital component covers the cost of the meter, whereas the Non-Capital component covers the ongoing costs of operating, maintain and reading the meter.

You can find more information on this here 

edit: clarification

Powerhouse

Hmm, seems we learn something new every day.!!

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Semiconductor
Since when have we had to pay for a meter? The meter belongs to the energy company. The meter was supplied and installed at their insistance, it belongs to them.

Semiconductor
Does this mean when i leave i take the meter with me?

Powerhouse

I guess AGL are better equipped to answer that, a lot depends on which state your from and what the Government rules are, I know in the Eastern states there was a Government rollout where no one had a choice, that has not occurred yet in my state, SA, AGL also took an initiative and did a rollout of their own proprietary meters at no cost to the end user, good for some but not good for others, others meaning trying to move from AGL to another retailer, best you look deeper into this as if it was a Government rollout you would have seen much publicity on it.  

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Powerhouse

I have no idea, you need to talk to your energy company.

Switched-on

Meter Capital **bleep**. First of AGL,s ripoffs. When my first import export meter was installed I payed around $400 for it. Now this new one is installed I rang to find out what happened to my old one and was told that I did not own it. The $400 plus was instalation fee. I watched the bloke install it and it took 20 minutes. That is around $1200 an hour. Imagine my disappiontment finding out I did not own it. Now the new one is in and there are no instructions about how to read it and so I spent several hours on the phone and tried to use this forum to find out what the numbers on the left of the meter mean. I looked up Jeremy H's explanation and found that there three types of meter but not how to read any of them. Useless. Check it yourself. I wrote an email to "how read your Smart Meter" and was asked by Anthony Sinclair, Customer Enquiry Manager, "what do I need to do?" and in answering his own question, not mine, I was told "nothing at all".. This answer was unsatisfactory. The question was "How do I read my meter?". I then rang AGL again and was finaly put through to some where that assured me they could find the answer. Halleluia. Some one who actualy does the work and not a slack jawed mouth breather who thinks they know. Here it is folks

01- Date and Time

03- Current Consumption

13- Current Solar Production

07- Off Peak (hot water)

43- Only used in NSW

53- Total Usage

63- Total Solar

That was easy now wasn't it . So now Jeremy H. you can up date your useless "how to read your meter" rubbish.

AGL is not my favorite company. Ian T.

Powerhouse

Hi again,

I think you have just told me the worst thing that can happen to you, it sounds like you may have had installed an AGL smart meter, maybe owned and installed by Active Stream, a company owned by AGL. It’s that same one consumers across parts of Australia and prevalent here in SA that I and many others are organising to have removed and a more generic one put in its place at AGL’s expense. Why, simple, only AGL it seems can read this meter so now your well and truly stuck with AGL as your retailer. In SA the main wholesaler for infrastructure supply is SAPN, they organise manual reads of your meter, their own meter, a MRIM, Manually Read Interval Meter, this gives the advantage than most retailers like AGL, Simply Energy and etc. can use this meter, unlike your one now, restricted to AGL.  Good luck to you if that’s the case, you just might need all the luck you can get.

To make sure of what you have got, read the labels on the meter and Google it looking for complaints on forums, like I did, wow, what a shock.

On a brigher note, if you do have that sort of meter you don't even need to read or understand your meter, AGL have AGL IQ, very good software that gives you stats, usage and a host of goodies, all for free. You can even look up daily, on line your current balance owed by you, subtract yestersay from today and see your daily costs.

So, why did you change meters in the first place, whose idea?

Rob

Switched-on

Rob

They installed an EDMI Mark7a, property of ACTIVESTREEM. Sadly the meter was changed without my knowledge. The old import export meter seemed OK and now I understand how to read the new one I can compare their readings with my inverter. Hopefully this will give me the accuracy I need. I got into the habit of checking other peoples meters when AGL proved themselves factualy dubious and found that my water meter was reading 15 ltrs when I filled a 9 ltr bucket. I chalenged AGL early in the piece (early adopter) when they could not seem to read my meter and lumbered me with huge estimated acounts. We will just wait and see if they try it on again. So far I can read my useage on line but the other options seem stuck in limbo land. Ian T.