Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Incorrect gas bill (hot water again)

Conductor

Hi guys,

Would someone advise on how to make AGL to give me the correct bill.

My partner and I just moved to a new apartment.

A month ago AGL sent us a gas bill for the first 13 days.

It appears (they believe) we spent almost 21,4 m3 of hot water ( with conversion factor of 0.2655 it gives 5681MJ) in 13 days!

I don't even want to talk about that it is a ridiculous number. We are a couple of 2 and AGL bills us for a family of 20.

I talked to AGL support over web chat 3 times. 2 times they apologysed, cancelled the bill and promised to issue a correct bill later again. both timesweI received the same incorrect bill.

third time the support person wanted to call me and explain how they calculated the bill.

The thing is just I know exactly how they calculated the bill and that's why every time I talk to those useless people I don't ask for any explanaitions but ask them just to fix the bill.

My meter shows qubic meters of water used (or 1000 liters) and AGL multiplies it by 10. With that they request me to pay for the gas 10 times more than I have consumed

Guys, what else can I do dispite of moving to another provider?

People at webchat support are useless, I have resords of all of my talks with them. They are just not helping.

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted

Re: Incorrect gas bill (hot water again)

AGL Moderator

Hi @Vladimir

Are you able to send some account details via private message? I'd be happy to take a look and see what we can do in regards to your enquiry.

Thanks!

Highlighted

Conductor

all the details sent

Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Thanks @Vladimir

Will look into ASAP for you and provide you with a response privately by tommorow afternoon.

Highlighted

Superconductor

@Vladimir wrote:

Hi guys,

Would someone advise on how to make AGL to give me the correct bill.

My partner and I just moved to a new apartment.

A month ago AGL sent us a gas bill for the first 13 days.

It appears (they believe) we spent almost 21,4 m3 of hot water ( with conversion factor of 0.2655 it gives 5681MJ) in 13 days!

I don't even want to talk about that it is a ridiculous number. We are a couple of 2 and AGL bills us for a family of 20.

I talked to AGL support over web chat 3 times. 2 times they apologysed, cancelled the bill and promised to issue a correct bill later again. both timesweI received the same incorrect bill.

third time the support person wanted to call me and explain how they calculated the bill.

The thing is just I know exactly how they calculated the bill and that's why every time I talk to those useless people I don't ask for any explanaitions but ask them just to fix the bill.

My meter shows qubic meters of water used (or 1000 liters) and AGL multiplies it by 10. With that they request me to pay for the gas 10 times more than I have consumed

Guys, what else can I do dispite of moving to another provider?

People at webchat support are useless, I have resords of all of my talks with them. They are just not helping.

Hi Vladimir

Sadly, I have been thru this scenario as well, still no real answers except we pay for every litre of warm,tepid, hot water via a hot water flow Meter under our kitchen sink. It appears the billing is set out with units which are muiltplied by 10 then multiplied by CONVERSION factor which gives the MJ used. We are 2 people using a supposedly extraordinary amount of gas to shower I no longer use the hot water in kitchen sink, I boil a jug which is ridiculous to wash dishes. Unfortunately, no joy just a massive gas bill, which is around 400.00 dollars a quarter. We have minimised time in shower to 3 mins now, We initially had bills close to 600.00  before we realised we had a hot water flow Meter. Best of luck.

Conductor

Hi Village,

thank you for your comment.

Just as a follow up on our case:

We are not going to pay incorrect bills, that's 110%.

We are also not going to "save" on hot water like having a 3 min shower instead of 10 min shower as that's the wrong way of fixing the problem.

It is AGL mistake and they have to fix it.

Luckily my partner and I are both engineers so we have a good understanding of what's going on.

Just a quick calculation:

10 min shower using 9l/min shower appliences gives us 90 liters of water. This water is not the hot water that we are paying for as we never have shower in boiling hot water. So 10 min in shower doesn't mean 90 liters of hot water.

Just for sake of this inxplaination, let's say we are showering in boiling hot water and we don't use any cold water during shower (which is ridiculous). 90 liter per person per day. For a couple it is 180 lit. Let's make it 200.

Conversion factor for our building is 0.265 MJ/lit (if it is higher that 0.4 MJ/lit, then it is the maitanance company problem as they don't maitain the hot water system adequatly).

200 lit x 0.265 MJ/lit = 53 MJ per day for two of us showering in boiling hot water.

Our last bill was issued for the period of 13 days: 53 x 13 = 689 MJ. This number takes into account that 2 of us having daily shower in very hot water so the actual number would be even lower.

AGL states that we spent 5681 MJ.

My calculation shows that their numbers are ridiculous and therefore we are not paying any bills based on these numbers.

5681 / 689 = 8.2 which is very close to 10 (given that we overestimated hot water consumption in our calculation) which is their multiplier that they are using in the bill. Thuis proves that the multiplier used wrongly.

This is additionally to what I said earlier about our meter which shows KL and Liters and anyway doesn't need any multipliers.

Highlighted

Conductor

update:

unfortunatelly exchanging messages with support people in this community didn't resolve the issue.

I have also sent an online enquary and got a response today.

They say that mult 10 is because my meter shows decaliters........

which is not true because it shows liters.

Highlighted

Semiconductor

Hi Vladimir,

Just wondering if you get your issue with gas bill for hot water resolved? We are having similar (or maybe exactly the same) issue. AGL sent me a bill for last 3 months an billing us for 23.000MJ just for hot water usage. They requested reading the meater 2 times but with still the same result.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jan

Highlighted

Conductor

Hi JanC,

sorry to hear you are having the same issues,

we have not resolved the issue yet.

AGL made their matainance contractor Jemena to accept that our meter is faulty and now Jemena is arranging meter service some time next week.

I will report back next week.

As for your case, do you know where your hot water meter is located and how it looks like? Does it have any info about the units it mesures in? Normally it should be right on the front face of your meter. Speak to your building manager about getting an access to your meter and take a picture of it (that's what we did).

If it says that the units are liters then make sure that your bill doesn't have the multiplier of 10 which is used only if the meter's units are decaliters.

Our meter is so dodgy that it doesn't have any info on it. I am not even sure if it complies with the industry standards. That's why we are having this hassle.

Vladimir

Highlighted

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @JanC. Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your gas account. If you would like to send us a private message with your account details, I would be happy to have a look at your account and see if there are any issues. Thanks Catherine