Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Hot water billing confusion.

Player

We moved to an apartment 6 months ago after living in a larger home with 4 gas appliances, we had a bill shock with our hot water in our apartment. After finally working out some answers to my bill I was rather shocked how the hot water from the boiler to my apartment is calculated it appears I have a hot water meter under my kitchen sink that measures the amount of hot water used as this water meter has a heat sensor on it. This meter measures kilo litres and litres so when I use hot water the odometer moves to show usage. The units on my bill show decialitres then multi 10 which I believe converts back to litres used then conversion factor of.4666 something then coverts in to mj. Since I have finally figured this out I am worried about using my hot water. Am I misguided here feeling I am being charged in a fanciful way a cent a litre. Mj usage 12,000 for quarter previous in house average 7,000mj

51 REPLIES

Re: Hot water billing confusion.

Alumni

Hi @Village

Take a look at this thread about centralised hot water systems and how your usage is charged. Let us know if you have any further questions. 

Lauren 

If I've helped at all, a Kudos would be appreciated Smiley Happy

Player

Hi Sugarcane

Sorry but the thread link you sent does not help me at all, all of my bills are multiplied

Not divided. For example I read my hot water Meter and it registers every luke warm

Tepid you name it I am paying for every drop. My bill shows units which after much debate and phone calls found out my Meter which is not gas records kilo litres in black and white on the Meter and litres on the right in red and white. It does not record cold water. The supplier reads the Meter remotely then records the reading in Decaliters which is recorded on my bills. The bill is issued and I have units(Decaliters) then a muilt x 10 which makes Decaliters to litres then it is multiplied again by Conversion factor which arrives at mj usage. I am being billed for warm,luke warm,tepid, and showering temperature water. My question is why? I would prefer another answer please, my calculations seem to point to cents per litre because of the hot water Meter which I have been observing appears to do this. 

Alumni

Thanks for your reply. 

You'll need to speak with your body corporate or property manager about this. Along with your distributor, they manage the installation and reading of the meter, before the meter reading is sent to us and we use it to calculate your bill. For info on how energy is priced see the AGL website

Cheers, 

Lauren 

Player

Hi Sugarcane

I have already spoken to my body corporate and building manager as well the wholesaler and read the billing site you requested I should read, unfortunately back to you, I think you have misunderstood my question why is AGL multiplying all of my bill units x mult x conversion factor to arrive at mj,  all of recommended by you say try asking AGL my energy provider.

Alumni

Hmm we're not sure we'll be able to help without looking at your specific account. Leave your details with us via our support form and we'll investigate further and get in touch. 

Lauren 

Drop in

The similar thing has happened by hot water bills as well. Not only AGL even other retailers can not explain this because the reading are supplied by the local gas distribution network. The issue is that customers can not resolve this with the distributor because they dont entertain complaints directly from the customers.

The hot water meter measures the hot water volume in (m3) Cubic meters. The conversion factor is calculated based on the total energy used by the all residents in the apartment devided by the total volume of hot wtar, hence the unit of measurement is MJ/m3 which is 0.335 (please see this facor in your bill and this changes every qaurter because of the reasons how it is calculated). Now what it needs to happen based on the regulation is simply multiply the volume of water in m3 by the conversion factor which will give your gas energy used for your hot water consumption in MJ. This amount should be charged by the retailer.

However, the direct readings from your hot water meter inside your unit doesn not reflect exactly in the bills. First it could have been shifted by two positions and again using a multiplying factor of 10 which is completeley in correct. This way consumption becomes in nearly in 1000 folds. These bills should be rejected and take up with the retailer first and the next step is to proceed to EWON (Ombudsman) to resolve the issue. 

There is no industrial standard to apply by 10 using a non technical mulitplying factor and shift the decimal of the meter reading which is happening due to the mis alignment of the reading with the remote meter unit installed in one of the floor. This is always faulty and this read remotely. 

Please take photos of the reading and record your compliants with EWON.

Player

Hi Dragon

Yes, I have sent photos of the meter to EWON the response is a lot of apartments have this set up, so its fairly normal to be billed in this way, I believe it's unfair as I the consumer end up paying a lot for hot water. The supplier of gas in NSW does send a remote read to the provider of my gas in Decaliters not m3 but what happens after that still remains unclear, greater detail on consumers bill would allow you to see any real inconsistencies on the billing. My bills do not identify my hot water Meter it actually lead me to believe it was a gas Meter for six months and I was shocked to see it reads hot water usage in KILOLITRES, still mystified how they get a real measurement of gas usage via this method.

Drop in

Hi there,

Have you ever seen the units for the meter readings are shown in the bill, I don't think so. Actually water is measured by the Killo Liters KL, or Cubic Meters m3 which is equal to 1000Liters. If any other Units is used to measure the water volume by water meters, as that's how the meters are constrcuted and tested/calibrated and also pattern approved by the National Measurement Institute, NMI Australia. All new meters shall show these Units of reading on the name plate of the meter and the Pattern Approval number issued by the NMI.

There will be black registers/drum with white numbers which read KL or m3 and the red registers/drum in white letters are decimal which reads Liters. Depends on the age of the meter, there will be different number of main black drums and red decimal drums. This is always confused by the Gas Network by not correctly synchnislying (non alignment) with the Remotely Read Meter, RMR  in the Corridor of one of the floor. Please check in the bills whether these readings are matched close enough, if they are far apart that means there is an issue of correct operation of the RMR. You can always thrust the mechanical hot water meter inside the unit.

Player

Hi Dragon

Thanks, I will check this Meter out tomorrow. The units on my bill compares the previous read to current which shows 2068.99  units but the Meter says as example 206.899. I took this up my gas provider who is adamant the read is correct and the Meter is correct, great way to get off side with customer and not able to get satisfactory resolution even with photos of Meter.