Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Re: Hot Water Gas Meter ITRON UltraMaXX HW recording higher usage

Conductor

Hi RonR,

You correctly said "They think that if you fill a 10 litre bucket your meter ticks over one unit".

In my case I did 10 liter bucket test and my meter reading moves only 1 digit, very last digit move fast and last second digit only move 1 unit. AGL twice checked with Gemena for my case and both ticket Gemena confirmed there is no reading and calculation problem. Its usage only.

Regards.

Manish

Highlighted

Semiconductor

Thanks at RonR. 

Agl can’t make up their their mind on how the meter should be read either.

Whether the bill should show the decimal or not. 2 conflicting responses and keeps asking me to resend read. 

Woulx love to know outcome. And I might join the que. 

Highlighted

Conductor

I'll hopefully get there in the end!

I live in an apartment - so my water usage is drinking, showering, washing, and dishwasher.

Almost all are at least partly hot water.

According to AGL, I use about as much hot water as 9 people (there are 3 of us).  According to Sydney water I use just over 2 people's water................can you see just by that that it does not add up.

If you are believing that your meter works fine - which is what essentially the previous person is saying, and I'm not disagreeing - then the calculation from there to the bill is wrong.

As I said before, I'm paying almost 2cents a litre.  An average 8 min shower is about 56 litres of hot water (based on a number of hot water tank makers).  So my average shower costs around a dollar.

That means a family of 3 can expect to pay for 3 months at say 4 showers a day, 90 days in a billing cycle, 4x90 - $360 just for showers. Before dishwashers, washing machines and hot water over the sink etc.

So I get bills between $550 and $670 per quarter for 3 people - in an apartment - with no leaks!

I use according to them as I said about 9 peoples hot water - it just does not add up - it is not usage. Or if it is, then the cost is absurdly high.

Highlighted

Switched-on

Hi Ron,

Did you get this sorted out. I'm facing the same problem now after the new meter installed in my property. your reply will  definitely help me in this matter. 

Highlighted

Conductor

Unfortunately yes - but it still does not make me happy or fully explain things.

I went to the ombudsman and they looked into it.  I then had a conversation with a nice woman who looked through my past readings and was able to predict (very closely) the reading at the time of the call.

Therefore they find it hard to believe there is a problem with the meter - that I also agree with.

So it appears we use approximately 3 times as much hot water as the average family of 3 (we are a family of 3).  I find that hard to believe, but it seems impossible to prove otherwise.

I also calculated that my hot water cost me almost 2c a litre.  This is unfortunately meaningless as they don't look at hot water based on cost per litre. (but they measure litres to calculate it!! That's what the meter records).  They told me the factor that was being applied to my meter reading to calculate cost was in the typical range (if at the higher end) so my bill made sense to the Ombudsman.

So that leaves nowhere to go - except to look for a better deal on the consumption.

As I live on the 7th floor of a highrise building, if I run a shower at 6am, it actually costs me about 40c just to get the water hot.

So $1.00 for a shower is a good expectation - 3 people x $3 x about 90 days in a billing cycle leaves me $270 before I use hot water anywhere else.  When I lived in a much bigger house my gas bill was always lower and it was gas heated (including two gas open fireplaces) - so it still doesn't add up based on experience, but they can do the numbers and the numbers apparently don't lie.......

Highlighted

Switched-on

Hi RonR and others,

I’ve noted a few things as per my understanding and experience that I would like to share here:

1. The “new Itron ultramaxx hw electronic meter” for me has a unit of m3 (meter cube) with last three digits grouped. That means 1 m3 = 1000 litres. 1litre of hotwater only tapout will move 1 digit in the meter. (Mine looks like one rn13manish has)

2. I noted if I (family of 3) use Supagas 45Kg bottle it lasted 5 months of hotwater shower+dishwash+laundry (has about 2350 Mj energy) - this was in a HOUSE

3. For apartment unit with hotwater meter, there is a common gas hotwater and “efficiency” of hotwater heat exchanger and vacancy in the apartments affects “pressure factor”. Mine is 3. So I’ve to pay thrice my actual use.

4. To increase my efficiency of use, I set the hotwater mixer under bathroom sink to “max” (DISCLAIMER: only do if you know what you’re doing). Close main hotwater tap and slowly open it to get just enough hotwater for one tap use. To begin cold Morning, before starting shower, I start washbasins hot tap, then open cold tap full for couple seconds, and close cold tap. Hotwater now doesn’t get mixed with cold water and starts quick. I really think your 40c/2c=20 litres must come down to say 2-5 if you want to increase your efficiency.

5. If this trick doesn’t work for you, it will be worth to get Tempering valve checked/replaced. This is a safety device to limit “hotness” of water out of “hot” tap, even when cold tap is totally off. They generally have a life of a few years. Please google for more info on tempering valves, e.g. how they work and which one you have.

6. 56 litres of pure hotwater is too much. Even 60 deg hotwater x 56 litres is too much of shower. Try a 20/30 litre bucketful 55deg C hotwater and a mug to take bath one day to actually see your “offline” use. 20 litres warm water should be more than enough, but I’m trying to think with liberty here with 30litres “pure online” hotwater. My (one person) daily shower use is always exactly between 10-11litre. (I turn off shower when applying soap).

I would love to hear your thoughts,

Cheers.