Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

First Time Home Owner - Is My First Gas Bill High?

Rookie

My partner and I just purchased a 4 bedroom house in Victoria with 2 living spaces gas hot water, gas stove top and gas heating. We each have 1 shower a day and use the gas cook top about 4 night a week. Heating is usually switched on at 6pm and off at 10pm each night and we set it to 18 degrees, shutting the vents and door in all  rooms not in use. 

Our first gas bill was $158.26  for a 21 day period, the total MJ used was 5,650.5 with a daily average of 296.07MJ costing $7.54. Is this normal? It seems high, but I don't have anything to base that on.

Just a side note, our Gas hot water unit is playing up and giving us inconsistent heat. We are planning on replacing it soon. Could this be chewing through the gas? Thanks!

1 REPLY

Re: First Time Home Owner - Is My First Gas Bill High?

Hi Madelyn,

Welcome to the AGL Community!

This level of gas usage is on the higher-end of the scale for a two person household, though it is not out of the realm of possibility. If you have a large storage hot water heater, then this water would be heating up first thing in the morning to ensure that hot water is readily available to you throughout the day, irrespective of how much water is or isn't used thereafter. These units can be costly to run, especially for smaller households and if the heater is getting on in age.

You can find out more about the costs of running specific appliances here, as well as several other helpful links. If you'd like us to take a closer look at your bill, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our web chat team here!

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.