Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Fake Billing

Semiconductor

PLEASE HELP

AGL, so it appears, is participating in a practice of Fake Billing called SCAM or SLAM Billing.
This is whereby AGL does not have a contract and does not have the name of the customer but attempts to scare them into joining or paying AGL.  They do this even when you are with another provider!!! 

They use the name Energy Consumer instead of your actual name.

This practice is immoral and unethical and quite probably illegal but at least not in the spirit or billing rules and corporate responsibility.
Sample of SCAM Billing by AGLSample of SCAM Billing by AGL

If you are aware of this type of activity or have examples like this please contact me at veryangryandpissedoff@gmail.com and I will compile the information for a formal complaint to the State and Federal Governments and to ASIC, ACCC and the media.

This practice by AGL simply must be stopped and you can help
Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Fake Billing

AGL Moderator

Hey Very_Angry,

Thanks for getting in touch!

We've noted your post here, as well as your posts on Facebook, and we will be in touch with you soon. In the meantime, we need to let you know about our House Rules, and our policy on multi-posting. We don't want to change posts from any of our visitors, but will do this in order to maintain a friendly online environment for the whole community. You can find out more about these here: aglener.gy/socialhsrls.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Jayden.

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Powerhouse

Tell me, what has AGL has really done and how do you know it was the fault of AGL? I'm a customer just like you and fail to see how a scam, malicious as it is, is passed off as the fault of AGL? 

With no cleat reference as to an account number or account details it seems it's just another scam, that being the case commonsense should prevail, in humble opinion. 

Rob

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
Tags (1)
Highlighted

Semiconductor

Friendly?

What part of friendly is cutting off the electricity from a household who you don't have a contract with?

Why should I be friendly when your company cost me thousands of dollars?

Why should I be friendly when nobody in your company does anything other than be patronising and not be accountable for the issues you caused?

Why should I be friendly when AGL conducts illegal activities like SLAM BILLING ?????

How about you be friendly and actualy do something other than pretend and actually do NOTHING!!!!!"???????

Highlighted

Semiconductor

1) My name is not "Energy Consumer"

2) My contract is with another provider

3) The Network Controller Energex confirmed it was AGL who cut off my power

4) AGL Admitted fault verbally and in writing

5) Mike Duffy Media Officer of AGL sent me a $500.00 Cheque - This constitutes legal admittance

There is no reference to an account that doesn't exist!  That is clearly and obviously an impossibility - please catch-up here you are being left behind!

Rob your opinion is not humble or helpful and all of the above information was documented in my original post

This was not a 3rd party scam - THIS WAS SLAM BILLING BY AGL!

Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Hi Very_Angry,

We have noted your multiple posts regarding the issue that you have been facing. I kindly ask you to review our House Rules, and our policy on multi posting and respecting other Community members. We don't want to change posts from any of our visitors, but will do this in order to maintain a friendly online environment for the whole community. You can find out more about these here: aglener.gy/socialhsrls.

Once again, we would like to resolve this and will get in contact with you soon.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience in this matter.

Samjy

Highlighted

Switched-on

I appear to have been a victim of AGL's gross incompetence over 13 years.

I have been receiving quarterly GAS BILLS BY MAIL ( BETWEEN $100 - $700) ADDRESSED TO ENERGY CONSUMER, BUT WE HAVE NOT USED GAS FOR 13 YEARS.

Numerous contacts with AGL have all failed to achieve anything.

AGL stands for "AUSTRALIA'S GREATEST LIABILTY"

I have contacted EWON (case  335797) but they have been useless, just a load of bureaucratic rubbish and buck passing.

MICK WILLIAMS

Highlighted

Switched-on

Yep.  I just got one of these too!

Attempting to get me to pay $700 for an account I don't have, for a gas service that is not even operational.  When I called to ask how it is possible that I (the 'Energy Consumer') am being asked to pay for an account I don't have, the only only reply I got was that someone who lived at my property in the past must have had the service - which makes no sense, because the 'Supply Charge' listed on the debt breakdown covered the period in which I have lived in the house - with no gas service and no account with AGL.

I feel that this letter is engineered to frighten elderly or confused people into paying for a bill that has nothing to do with them, because the bill is designed to look legitimate, is a large amount, and threatens further late charges if it is not swiftly paid.

If this bill were in good faith, clearly it would have the name of the person with whom AGL had an account.  As the representative with whom I was speaking tried to argue, the bill is only relevant to whoever the previous tenant of my house was, long ago.  But when that person's account was cancelled/expired AGL chose to continue sending their bill onto the next tenant, intentionally removing that person's name, I believe, with the intent of creating confusion.  There can be no other reason for removing the name.  Why would anyone else willingly chose to pay a bill that was someone else's expense?!

Highlighted

Switched-on

Can AGL address the issue of sending to "Energy Consumer" or is this a 3rd party scam?

In my case, we sold a house for 6 months while it was empty and cancelled all utilities and paid all outstanding amounts.

After the new owners bought and moved in, they got an AGL gas bill, in the post, for over $100 for the period after which we cancelled gas and no one was living there - addressed to "Energy Consumer".

To make it worse, they got another bill for a different amount, less than $100, for the exact same period, with a few days added at the end.

So there's absolutely no wiggle room for passing this off as a "mistake" or some kind of procedural error.

Whoever created this bill must know it's invalid and wrong and likely to confuse someone into giving money where it is not owed.

I assume then, it's a very advanced 3rd party scam somehow...

If not, AGL has some serious questions to answer.

Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Hi OrangeAvenger, 

Thanks for contacting us and welcome to the AGL Community.

I can confirm that the Energy Consumer bills are a legitimate invoice from AGL. Ordinarily, these are generated when we can see usage is being consumed at a premise but no-one has set up an account or taken responsibility for it yet. This can also happen if a meter still exists, even if there is no usage, as the supply charge will still apply; this sounds like the situation with your premise.

If you do have any concerns around this invoice, I would recommend to contact us and we will be happy to assist; https://www.agl.com.au/contact-us/social/contact-us

Thank you,

Jenna