Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Extremely high hot water gas bill

Newcomer

Hi

We've been using AGL for two years in our unit and in the last two gas bills AGL charged us $500 each quarter, which is more than twice as much as the usual bills (~$200-230). The readings are nearly three times as that from the previous bills. We are a couple with one 3yr kid, haven't changed how we use hot water and it did not cost that much even when we had 6 people living together for nearly a month in the beginning of 2017.

Called AGL several times and they insist that the readings were "correct". There must be something wrong with the meter.

Plus, I've been keeping records of the meter myself and it seems there's an abrupt increase from March to September, and then slowed down to normal level. NOTHING changed in our home during that time and we don't have any leaky pipes.

The response from AGL is completely not satisfactory to us, so already submitted a complaint.

gas_usage.png

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES

Re: Extremely high hot water gas bill

AGL Moderator

Hi luke2018,

Thank you for getting in touch with us here!

The fact that your usage has recently slowed down does not lend itself to a meter fault. The reason I say this is because meters don't become faulty for a period (e.g. March to September) and then suddenly begin operating correctly again. If the meter was faulty, you would expect to see your usage continue to trend at the same rate, if not increase.

Can I ask if you have a hot water system specifically for your property, or do you live in a complex with a centralised hot water system?

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Newcomer

Hi Jayden

Thank you for the response.

It completely possible that the meter was faulty for some time then went back to normal. My point is, something is definitely wrong with the reading, and we cannot trust the readings if it varies so much for no reason.

To answer your question, I live in a complex and the hot water supply is shared, with each unit having its own meter right before the hot water went in.

Thank you

AGL Moderator

Hi luke2018,

Thank you for your prompt response!

It sounds like you've been tracking the meter readings quite closely and that they're in line with one another, so this is a good start. If you're adamant that there is an issue with the meter itself then I encourage you to get in touch with our customer service team to arrange for a technician to attend your property to conduct a test. You can chat with our web chat team here.

Regarding the shared hot water service, have you by chance spoken to any other occupants in the complex about their recent bills?

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Newcomer

No, they are not inline with each other! There's a sharp turn, and before the turn the reading is "growing" too fast. Looking at the chart, one might say that our home was simply consuming more energy and the meter is working and everything is good, only we know that we were not using that much energy. Something is wrong, it could be the meter or something else.