Extremely high gas bill and no help from staff

MicaelaD
Semiconductor
1 Reply 7012 Views

I have recently got my gas bill back at over $500, for a two person household that only uses gas to heat up our water. It is only a small hot water system too so we only get 5 min showers. 

When I called up to get help, I was told that it was correct and my previous bills which I have two of at $120 each were wrong. I have consulted a plumber who has informed me that something is wrong and the bill doesn't look right. I cannot smell any gas near the meter either, but a bill of that size does not make sense for the amount of gas we use. 

After reading online that this has happened to many people, and that AGL are never helpful it has worried me and I have seriously considered changing companies. 

Is there anything I can do about this? 

5 REPLIES 5
jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 7010 Views

Hi MicaelaD,

Welcome to the AGL Community!

When investigating a high bill, the following suggestions are a good start:

• Take a reading of your meter as it stands currently and compare this to the end reading on your bill. If your current meter reading is lower than your billed end reading, then the the meter reader has made an error.
  • Check your last 2-3 bills prior to this one - were the meter readings used actual or estimated? If the readings were estimated, then this may be a catch up bill which has resulted from being undercharged in the past.
  • Are there any gas appliances within your property - other than your hot water system - that you've been using more frequently or differently during this billing period?

Kind regards,

Jayden

MicaelaD
Semiconductor
1 Reply 7005 Views

Hi Jason, 

Our meter is more, however it is continuously rising even though we are not using the gas. Even as I look at it, after being out all day, the numbers change. 

Our last two bills were actual readings. Before that we were not at the property. 

We only use gas gas for hot water as I mentioned previously. We have gas points but they are not used and never have been used while we have been at this property. 

I have seen that my town has had a lot of complaints surrounding this issue this month and the reason being that AGL has hired someone who gave incorrect readings and refuse to fix it. 

jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 6999 Views

Hi MicaelaD,

Thank you for getting back to me!

If your current meter reading is higher then that listed on your bill, then this rules out the possibility of the meter being misread by your meter reader. If you have already had a plumber attend and you have not noticed any obvious smells of gas around the property, then it may be necessary to have your meter tested. Unfortunately we can't arrange this through the AGL Community, but our customer service team can arrange this for you who can be contacted here.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can clarify for you.

Kind regards,

Jayden

MicaelaD
Semiconductor
1 Reply 6997 Views

Hi Jayden, 

Thank you for that. I have spoken with someone at AGL who is sending someone to check the reader. Thank you for replying and helping me out. 

Do you know if my bill will be fixed up if they find an issue with the meter? 

Thanks. 

jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 6993 Views

Hi MicaelaD,

No problems at all!

If your meter is found to be faulty, then any bill(s) impacted by this fault will be adjusted using historical usage data and/or usage data obtained from your new meter.

Cheers,

Jayden