Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Extremely high estimated gas bill

Switched-on
Today I received my gas bill for period from 7 May ~9 August which is extremely high, about $368. It is almost triple of my previous gas bills. What surprises me is not only the number, but also the 'estimated'. The staff just came to my apartment and read my gas meter several days ago, so I don't know why I still get the estimated bill rather than the actual bill. I called the customer service but they didn't know why.
I have lived in my apartment for 12 months, and I never receive an actual bill. Last quarter (February- May), when I received the estimated gas bill I called the customer service center and told them I wanted my actual bill. So they sent a staff back to my address and checked my meter reader, but I never receive a adjusted bill after that. So I had to pay the estimated gas bill for the period from February-May. So what is the point to get the actual gas meter. They just issue an estimated bill no matter if they have the real meter or not. The good thing is my contract will be end in September, I guss the only way to solve my problem is changing my provider. They don't care the customer's problem at all.
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Extremely high estimated gas bill

Powerhouse

You need to read the actual policy, clearly written, on how an 'estimated' works! I go one step better and do my own meter reads weekly to setup a pattern, this way you stand a better than even chance of avoiding an 'estimated'. AGL allow for this on their website and it's really super simple to to, I also take the photo showing my meter complete with my meter number, if you have a smart phone then it should log were you actually took the photo.

Please remember that I am just like you, a customer.

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
Highlighted

Switched-on
Thank you for your advice. I know how 'estimated' works, but I still don't understand why they issue an estimated bill when they already had the actual number. I only want to pay for my actual usage, not the estimation. As they already have the actual gas meter, the read shouldn't be the problem.
Highlighted

Powerhouse

Fair comment, when I do my reads, depending on the day of the month, moreso at the end of the month as I am on monthly billing, billing cycle first of the month, I often get no estimate reads but on the odd occasion I my get one right on the last day of the month. Are you on bill smoothing, this can also affect your estimated and may also prevent them billing you on your reads, bill smoothing sounds good but in practise tyour often the loser.

I'm by no means a fan of AGL and my beef is deep and on going and involves EWOSA to sort it out, but, when you jump ship it may be at your peril, one thing I love about AGL is there reporting and control you have over your accounts, I guess when the AGL people read your posts they will ask you to PM them and they can better get to the bottom of it all, good luck!!

Rob 

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.
Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Hi @Xiao

It's odd that you haven't received a bill based on an actual meter read in 12 months. Generally if this is the case, the meter reader, whom is sent by your local distribution company, was unable to gain access to your meter and so in its place you're sent an estimated read.

You have also pointed out in your post that we arranged somebody to go to your premises to complete an actual meter read and that this was done. I want to clarify that as a retailer, AGL does not send its own staff out to a premises to read the meter, this is either done quarterly by your local distribution company or in certain cases, such as yours, we can put an order through to your local distribution company to attempt to read your meter.

We would be keen to see what happened to this read, so if you could message us privately with some account information, we can see what became of that order and the subsequent reads and if they're available in the system where your distributor uploads the data, we can act accordingly.

Nathan