Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Excessive increase in power cost

Newcomer

I took possession of the property I am in, on sept 2017. Previously I was renting a property just around the corner.  My electricity bills for the rental property, never exceeded $400 a qtr and I used a ducted air conditioner all summer long and an electric heater all winter long. I was in the rental property for 2.5years. Since moving into my newly purchased house which is an old trust home, my power bills have been $1000 a qtr. I do not have a swampy, nor do i use the electric heater. I have exactly the same house hold items that I did in the rental property. I do have ducted reverse cycle, but use very sparingly. I have been switching the hot water system of at the main power board when I do not need it and only turn it back on once The hot water starts to run cold. I have switched all power points off and and still not that the meter is turning ever so slightly, however I can hear the electrical current winding over. I have been keeping a record of my metre readings for a week, marking down when certain things have been used. 

It is beyond rediculous and something is seriously wrong. 

7 REPLIES

Re: Excessive increase in power cost

Hey Susziemarree,

Thank you for your post!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been hit with such an unwelcome surprise! There can be a number of different reasons why you may see an increase in your bills when moving from one property to another. Given the fact you've taken the same appliances with you to your new property, the culprit will most likely be a pre-existing appliance at your new property (hot water system, air conditioner, etc) or possibility a faulty electricity meter.

We do have an online resource here that can help you try to determine this, and you're always welcome to get in touch with a member of our web chat team here for further support!

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Newcomer

Thanks Jayden,

but it is not the air con or the hot water. I have been keeping track of meter readings and when I am using these things and they use hardly any power. I do believe that you will need to send out a technician to replace the metre, as When everything is switch off, the metre is still running. The other option and I really hope not, is that someone else is using my power as the property was vacant for over 12 months before I purchased it. 

I will not be happy with anything less, as clearly the meter is faulty. 

Hey Susziemarree,

Thanks for getting back to me!

Having your meter tested is absolutely an option that you have available to you. To arrange this, you'll need to call us on 131 245 and request to speak with our 'Resolutions' team.

Kind regards,

Jayden

Newcomer

Hi,

i thought I would follow in with this conversation so there is a trail.

I was in contact with resolutions team and have been waiting over two weeks for someone to come to out and look at my power. I requested that I be contacted before they come out so that I can make sure someone is home, nothing yet. So this arvo after I finished work I was going to ring them yet again and find out what is going on.

My service box that provide the power to the house caught fire this morning at about 708am. Luckily, no one was hurt. Clearly there was an ongoing issue with the power. I believe this could all of been avoided if someone was sent out earlier. It had been caused by power surges happening and according to SA Power had been happening for a while and this time it couldn’t take it. 

Does this explain the increase in my power bills?

now instead of me waiting on hold on my mobile to discuss this with the resolutions team, I kindly request that they contact me, no later than close of business today. 

Thank you

Hi Susziemarree,

Thank you for the update!

If the condition of the infrastructure at your property is posing a threat to the safety of your household or the surrounding area, it's absolutely imperative that you get in touch with SA Power Networks faults and emergencies team on 131 366 who will arrange for the fault to be looked at as a priority.

Kind regards,

Jayden

Newcomer

Guessing you really didn’t read the message.

yes they have been here all morning. 

Again, customer left to do all the running around

Rookie

I agree with you about the cost of electricity.Ours have more than doubled

@Susziemarree wrote:

I took possession of the property I am in, on sept 2017. Previously I was renting a property just around the corner.  My electricity bills for the rental property, never exceeded $400 a qtr and I used a ducted air conditioner all summer long and an electric heater all winter long. I was in the rental property for 2.5years. Since moving into my newly purchased house which is an old trust home, my power bills have been $1000 a qtr. I do not have a swampy, nor do i use the electric heater. I have exactly the same house hold items that I did in the rental property. I do have ducted reverse cycle, but use very sparingly. I have been switching the hot water system of at the main power board when I do not need it and only turn it back on once The hot water starts to run cold. I have switched all power points off and and still not that the meter is turning ever so slightly, however I can hear the electrical current winding over. I have been keeping a record of my metre readings for a week, marking down when certain things have been used. 

@Susziemarree wrote:

this month and I seem to be paying not quarterly but monthly!We are pensioners and are careful with our heating/cooling system.We cannot afford this huge jump in our bills!