Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Estimated Meter Reading Formula is extremely disadvantageous to us customers

Switched-on

AGL Meter 20180711_091935.jpgI have a digital meter that has to be read manually (MRIM). Because we have a large wall and secure gates and sometimes nobody home during the day when your guy comes to read the meter, I end up with Estimated Meter Readings. The method that is used to caluclate the " estimate" has no valid comparison to the previous years usage (same house, same occupants, same season) nor other example houses in our area as shown on the bill. In fact our estimated usage for 2 people is over double the typical usage in our area for a household for 5 people. I realise these are "averages" and "typical" and still may not always be relevant, however nobody can (or will) tell me what method is used by AGL to create the estimate. It certainly isn't previous usage or typical houses in our area. 

I went through this a year ago and ended up with credits on my account. Now we start the process again. I don't think it is fair or reasonable that AGL issues a bill with unreasonably high estimate readings. My last bill showed an estimate of 60 kWh for August 2018 when the actual reading for August 2017 was 9kWh!

There may be a valid explanation somewhere, but the billing information and process is confusing and misleading. The estimation formula is not transparent. Ref: 1539286401 23rd Aug 2018.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Estimated Meter Reading Formula is extremely disadvantageous to us customers

Switched-on

Wow! I just did the a meter read for my gas as well and updated it online. The bill went from an estimated $653.87 down to an actual meter read value of $216.91! (Which I have now paid).

WHAT METHOD IS USED TO CALCULATE THESE ESTIMATED METER READINGS ??

MY ESTIMATE WAS NOT RELEVANT TO PREVIOUS USAGE OR BILLS.

WHY ARE ESTIMATED READINGS THREE TIMES THE ACTUAL? 

This is almost fraudlent! It means AGL is taking cash advances from customers and holding onto them until actual readings update the customers bill. If it was $50 here or there, I wouldn't worry. But this is $hundreds on gas and for me a thousand dollars on electricity!!!!!

Highlighted

Re: Estimated Meter Reading Formula is extremely disadvantageous to us customers

Semiconductor

I have similar situation that despite I have a smart meter in our house which is open for data reading, AGL only estimated my bill nearly 4 times of my actual usage. I believe this is the way how they collect a large sum of money from customers and earn interest and create a large cash flow for them.

Should there be any regulation on how the electricity company make their estimation based on?