Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Electricity bill has increased almost by double

Switched-on

Hi,

"Your AGL electricity bill - looks a little different" - Yes, yes it does.

My monthly bill averages around $65 - I live in a tiny apartment and work full-time so don't use a lot of electricity. I just received my next monthly bill which is over $100 and it is the 'actual' not the estimated measure which constitutes the big portion of this increase.

I don't understand how my bill could increase by such an amount, I haven't turned the airconditioning on in over a month as it is cooling down and I am the kind of person who switches my powerpoints off when not in use... so I feel my bill should be decreasing not increasing suddenly.

Is it possible to get this checked out to see whether there has been a reading error? 

Or is this something to do with incorrect prior estimations and I'm suddenly paying for it back now... ???

Any clarification on the cause of my bill increase is greatly appreciated,

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Electricity bill has increased almost by double

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @janscott26

Sorry to hear about the unexpected billing. As you are receiving your bills on a monthly basis, it is possible that you have a basic meter that is only read every 3 months by the local electricity distribution company. This means that 2 out of 3 bills will be estimated based on the historical data that has been made available to us. 

It would be best to first of all check your meter to make sure that the actual read on your bill is in line with the current read. The meter read should now be above the actual read. 

You can submit a customer own read to us and you can find the instructions here. This read can be submitted up to 3 days prior to your bill date. 

If you need help with a payment plan or need any further account specific information, please send me a private message and I will be able to help out. 

Thanks! 

Re: Electricity bill has increased almost by double

Semiconductor

HISTORICAL DATA IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH, ACCURATE DATA IS WHAT THE PUBLIC IS PREPARED TO PAY.

Re: Electricity bill has not arrived as yet (19 July)

Switched-on

Our bill normally arrived about the 17th or 18th EACH month.

We are concerned as to WHY.

Switched-on

We are concerned as to WHY IT HASN'T ARRIVED AS YET. (19th July)

AGL Moderator

Hi PeterCoad,

Given it's only been one day, I wouldn't stress just yet!

If you still don't have your bill in a few days time please let me know.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.