Electricity Usage charges

touser
Superconductor
1 Reply 35245 Views

I am on monthly electricity billing. The usage is meant to be charged for the first 1020kwH at my contract rate and thereafter at the second stated rate.

As my billing is monthly, it appears the initial usage is charged at a pro rata rate?

My bill from 31 Dec 2018 to Jan 30 2019 was for 1277kwH.

The majority of that  bill was calculated at the post 1020 kwH rate?

IE; First 347kwH charged at the low rate.

Next or remaining was 930kwH at the higher rate?

Doesn't seem correct and this has been the same for a long time.

7 REPLIES 7
jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 35217 Views

Hi touser,

Welcome to the Community!

This threshold of 1,020 kWh is relevant to a quarterly (90 day) billing cycle. This works out to be approximately 11 kWh per day.

For a monthly billing cycle, you should expect to be charged at this rate for the first 319-341 kWh (approx) depending on the length of the billing cycle depending on the number of days.

Kind regards,

Jayden 

touser
Superconductor
1 Reply 35214 Views

ok i understand that but i did a rough calculation if my billing period was the normal 3 month cycle then my total amount owing would be less?

I compared the period between the 31/10/2018-30/01/19 without any discount applied and the supply charge excluded for that period, and averaged the unit price as there was a price change in Jan. My rough total was less than calculating or adding the 3 individual monthly bills again ex any discount or supply charge?

If you would care to do your own calculations for that same time period and compare any difference between my 3 monthly bills compared to a standard 3 month cycle in total.

I apologise in advance if i have erred in my calculations...thank you.

Nick

jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 35202 Views

Hi Touser,

I'll be happy to double check these calculations for you.

In order to do this, I'll just need you to send me a quick private message with your account number.

Cheers,

Jayden

touser
Superconductor
1 Reply 35201 Views

just sent you a message with the details

jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
1 Reply 35196 Views

Hi Touser,

Thank you for getting back to me!

Using your details, I've taken a look at your accounts for the period of 31/10/2018-30/1/2019. My findings are below:

• For this 92 day period, you used a total of 2,456.271 kWh.
  • You were charged the the first rate for 1,026.031 kWh and at the second rate for 1,430.24 kWh amongst these three separate monthly bills.
  • Since my initial response yesterday, I've calculated that your threshold for the first rate is approximately 11.2 kWh per day.
  • Based on this, for a 92 day period you should be given a threshold of approximately 1,030.4 kWh which is very close to the 1,026.031 kWh you've been charged for.

The difference of 4.369 kWh (1030.4 less 1026.031) is negligible in the scheme of things, as it equates to a difference of 7.2c after discount and GST is applied.

Hopefully this helps and please let me know if there is anything that I can clarify!

Cheers,

Jayden

touser
Superconductor
1 Reply 35188 Views

Hello Jaydeny

Yes your figures were correct! I double checked my roughies and realised my miscalculations!

Thank you

jayden_AGL
AGL Moderator
0 Replies 35159 Views

Not a problem at all touser! Happy to help.

Please sing out if there is anything else that I can do to help.

Cheers,

Jayden