Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Digital electricity meter - estimated reading??

Rookie

Why has my digital electricity meter reading been estimated for my new bill?  It's supposed to be automatically read, therefore an actual reading should be there. Can you please advise me on this. Thanks

4 REPLIES

Re: Digital electricity meter - estimated reading??

Hey Bronco92,

Thank you for your post!

Even if you have a smart meter, unfortunately it is still possible to receive an estimated bill! Smart meters record usage in 15 minutes intervals, and if even just one of these intervals is not available for an entire 90-day billing period, your bill will read as 'estimated'. This can be caused by a number of different possibiliities, which our web chat team will be happy to have a look at for you here.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Visitor

So Jayden,

AGL cannot bill correctly because of one missing 15 min interval on a smart meter?

Readings only increase in value as the data is transmitted. 15 min or 30 days, the end result is the same.

AGL's billing system for smart meters should be efficient for customers. Instead it lacks transparency and inconsistencies with extra charges as adjustments being tacked on after the billing cycle.

The online billing system is a confusing mess of mismatching figures against bills that bear no correlation to energy usage.

What is the AGL doing to sort this out ?

Fe
Rookie

I would like to self read my electricity meter, however, get a message on the agl web page that "Smart meter read taken automatically ". Is there some way I can submit my own readings as estimated daily usage values to date have been 2 to 4 times greater than I have experiened from my previous provider during the past few years.

Fe

Newcomer

Good luck with that!

The customer portal does not allow it.

By estimation AGL can charge whatever on the monthly billing cycle, generate a cash flow and leave the consumer with a smart meter scratching their heads.