Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Conversion Factor and heating value

Switched-on

Does anyone know what the heating value and conversion factors are?  My 'raw usage' as per my meter has not changed but changes to the conversion factor has resulted in my usage going up 50%!!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Conversion Factor and heating value

AGL Moderator

Hi crankypants,

Thank you for your post!

The definition of these terms are as follows:

• Conversion factor: The calculation made by dividing the amount of gas used to heat the water in the common hot water system by the total amount of cold water that enters the system. This calculation is made by your gas distributor.
  • Heating value: The heating value is used to calculate the amount of  mega joules (MJ) contained in gas, which is impacted by temperatures and pressures at different geographical locations. This figure is also provided by your gas distributor.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Switched-on

What is a common meter? I thought that was only applicable in apartments / units. We are in a house.

Also, how would my gas distributor know how much cold water has gone into my hot water system?

Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Hi crankypants,

Thank you for getting in touch!

The above information are standard definitions of these terms, and how they apply to your property/complex specifically may vary on how the meters are configured. If you'd like further clarification on the configuration of the meters at your property, we encourage you to get in touch with your gas distributor. If you're not sure who that is, you can confirm this using the tool included on this page.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.