Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Conversion Factor - Gas Hot Water System usage insane since switch to AGL

Switched-on

We have recently switched to AGL in April and our monthly bills for hot water system gas usage have more than doubled. I'm convinced its to do with the conversion factor as I've been monitoring the units used at the meter (daily) and there is nothing crazy happening there.

Over the last 2 months we've used 877 units which when multiplied by 10 then by a conversion factor of 1.006329 it puts us as using 8,825 MJ in 2 months!! Using these same units x 10 and the previous supplier conversion factor 0.226118 we get 1,983 MJ over 2 months...

I rang to query the high bills and the guy on the phone said this was a seasonal difference as its now winter - with you guys our usage is almost 4.5 times that of previous supplier!! The conversion factor should surely decrease the usage to MJ not increase it!

i spent nearly an hour on the phone yesterday and came away with nothing - why are your conversion factors so much higher? This is comparing an April bill from previous supplier to an AGL bill for April to May so same period. 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Conversion Factor - Gas Hot Water System usage insane since switch to AGL

AGL Moderator

Hi RobertPC,

Welcome to the Community!

If you're receiving your bills monthly then this indicates that not only are your meter readings estimated, but so is your conversion factor. This may be having an impact on your bills, and this will not be corrected until an actual meter reading is completed. If you'd like to arrange for your meter to be read to verify this information then we encourage you to get in touch with our web chat team here. You can also find out more about conversion factors here: Centralised hot water billing.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Switched-on

Hi Jayden

I have provided actual meter readings for the gas and the usage on the bills was reduced to the current very high levels. No one on the phone calls mentioned to me that the conversion factor is also estimated!

Can the conversion factor only be taken during a physical meter read? I will arrange for a meter reading to be taken as can't afford to keep paying such high prices! Would switching to quarterly billing also alleviate the conversion factor over charging issue?

Cheers

Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Hi RobertPC,

Thank you for getting back to me!

I'm sorry that this information has not been communicated to you before now. Changing to quarterly billing will definitely mitigate this issue as your bill will be sent out to you after your meter is physically read every quarter. In the interim, you can arrange or a once-off special reading to be completed to rectify the accuracy of your bills to date, or just wait for the next meter reading to be completed.

Whichever option you'd like to follow up, you're very welcome to get in touch with us via web chat here or contact us to arrange this!

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Semiconductor

Hi Jayden,

How different would the actual conversion factor be compared to the estimated conversion factor?

Regards