Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Configuration of smart meter for solar power

Switched-on

What do AGL charge for configuring a smart meter for solar power?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Configuration of smart meter for solar power

AGL Moderator

Hey ingrla,

Thank you for getting in touch!

The amount charged for this work is actually set by your electricity distributor, and can vary based on a few factors such as locality, and the specifics of your current meter. To ensure that these variables are taken into account, you'd be best served getting in touch with our New Connections team on 1800 680 430.

Kind regards,

Jayden.

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Switched-on

I recently installed solar panels at my residence in Victoria, where I already have a smart meter. I contacted AGL New Connections team for meter reconfiguration for feed-in-tariff arrangement. I have been told that no one come to my place and smart meter would be remotely reconfigured by the Distributor _ Jemena. I need to pay $56.67 for this request.  This is fair enough but when I found the timelines for completion of this work, I have been told it requires 40 business days after generating the Service Order by AGL. I am just wondering why 40 business days are required in this time of age just to reconfigure the meter remotely. Any experience or suggestions how to expedite this reconfiguration of smart meter so I can start getting advantage from my solar investment.  

Thanks

AGL Moderator
AGL Moderator

Hi Sayed, 

We appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback and bringing this to our attention.

We're aware that distributors may have delays in completing their work orders. This has subsequently caused a considerable discrepancy between the time frames quoted by AGL versus the true time frame in which these jobs will be completed by the distributors. 

We'd like to take this opportunity to apologise for this poor experience, and let you know that you can contact our Solar New Connections team on 1800 680 430 if you require further assistance down the track.

Kind regards,

Le 

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Semiconductor

Hi Jayden

I have been making some enquiries and I believe that the information you have given MAY be factually wrong. Having spoken to Endeavour Energy (my local electricity distributor) I have had email confirmation that the retailer is responsible for all aspects of meter supply and subsequent management. Further I have been informed by AGL personell that a company is subcontracted by AGL to perform tasks such as meter reconguration - Plus.Es - tel : 1300377118

https://pluses.com.au/

So AGL retains responsibility for this process despite subcontracting the service out. More transparency re: charging and responsibility is required here. Kicking the can over to distributors is not an appropriate response to customers querying the appropriateness of this charge,

Nothing personal.... just trying to help with clarification.

Charged Up

Ingrla,

There is no charge for AGL to configure a smart meter for solar input.

To the best of my knowledge in all States EXCEPT SA, it is the responsibility of the installer to get the install finalized and ensure that you get payments for electricity put back into the grid.

I am from SA and once the paperwork was completed (by me) I got payment from the day the meter was configured.

Cheers Neil

Charged Up

Sayed...

My understanding is in all states (other than SA) it is the responsibility of the installer to get the meter connected.

There should be NO CHARGE  to you for this service.

In SA I had to apply to SA Power Networks for Permission to get the panels installed (and pass that information to the installer).  Once the panels were installed I got a Certificate of Compliance from the Installer the went back to my Supplier (SA Power Networks), they then authorized my system and informed my retailer who commenced billing

Cheers

Neil