Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Centralised gas hot water billing

Switched-on

I refered to below article in order to understand how Centralised hot water billing is done.

https://community.agl.com.au/t5/Knowledge-Base/Centralised-hot-water-billing/ta-p/305

I have question related to point 4 (Why do you multiply my usage by 10 as well as the common factor?)

--------------------------

If you live in NSW, you may notice that your consumption has been multiplied by 10, as well as the common factor - this is because the hot water meter measures your usage in deciliters (a metric unit of capacity equal to one tenth of a litre).

So in order to calculate your bill, we multiply your individual usage by 10 to determine your usage in litres, and then by the common factor (as the common factor is the amount of gas required to heat a litre of water).

--------------------------

Text above says that read is multiplied by 10 as meter measures in deciliters. However my understanding is read should be divided by 10 to convert deciliter into liter.

Appreciate the clarification.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Centralised gas hot water billing

AGL Moderator

Hi @dikunjagarwal

The information we've provided in that post is accurate. 

1 x Deciltre (Or 100 millilitres) = 1/10th of 1 x Litlre (Or 1000 Millilitres).

Hope that clarifies it, but let us know if you need more info.

Highlighted

Switched-on

Hi @NathanB

Appreciate your reposnse.

However, it still does not clarify the doubt that I have.

My understanding is if meter reading says 500 then it means 500 deciliter (as per article).

Then in order to convert read into usage (in liter), read should be divided by 10 rather than mutiplied by 10. Division by 10 should give us 50 liter.

Also you would agree with that fact that 500 deciliter is equal to 50 liter.

Thanks

Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Hey dikunjagarwal,

Thanks for getting back to us!

We apologise for the lack of clarity on our end here. Just the confirm, the meter does record in tenths of a litre. As a result, if the meter records 500 decilitres, the total hot water consumption would be calculated as follows:

500 decilitres x 0.10 = 50 litres

Hopefully this clears things up for you!

Jayden.

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Switched-on

Jayden

your answer confirms that the example provided earlier by AGL was incorrect and in the example the deciliter figure is required to be DIVIDED by 10 rather than multiplied. 

regards

Highlighted

Switched-on

Jayden

the example provided is incorrect: 

"this is because the hot water meter measures your usage in deciliters (a metric unit of capacity equal to one tenth of a litre)....So in order to calculate your bill, we multiply your individual usage by 10 to determine your usage in litres...."

and then you provide this incorrect example:
For example:
Your Meter Reading = 1111 dl (x10)
Your Meter Reading in Litres = 11110

its not simply lack of clarity. It's WRONG!

Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Hey BulkHotWaterUse,

Thank you for your post.

Just to clarify, the above post was clarifying how to convert decilitres into litres. As a decilitre is one tenth of a litre, you either need to multiply the value in decilitres by 0.10, or alternatively divide this by 10, to calculate the same value in litres.

Kind regards,

Jayden 

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.