Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Can you tell us about MUTs (maximum uniform tariffs) and what they mean for me?

AGL Employee

I keep hearing about MUTs, however the www doesn't really tell me what I need to know about them as an energy consumer.

Can you help me out?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Can you tell us about MUTs (maximum uniform tariffs) and what they mean for me?

Alumni

Hi Fezbueller, 

Thanks for asking. 

Energy contracts can be confusing, so we’re happy to help you understand the different offers available so you can decide what suits you best.

Generally, there a two types of electricity and gas plans available (depending on which state you live in).

MUTs (also known as a standing offer or default rate)

This is a basic energy plan with no discounts, no contract terms and no late payment fees. The price of the contract can change no more than once every six month, however terms and conditions vary depending on where you live. For example, if you're in NSW, gas prices are set by the independent energy regulator rather than the retailer. It’s important to do your research so you can understand the offers available to you.   

Market retail contracts

These are contracts which can include discounts, incentives, fixed terms and other conditions offered by the retailer. Also included in this category are GreenPower energy contracts and solar contracts. Prices on market retail contracts can change at any time even if it’s a fixed term contact. Once again, we encourage you to research the offers available in your area as this can change state to state.

What this means for you as an energy consumer, is that there are different options available to you depending on where you live, how you use energy, whether you have a solar installation, and other factors. If you’d like to chat through this, please give us a ring.

You can also find more info on Energy Made Easy, but let us know if you have any other questions.

Lauren 

If I've helped at all, a Kudos would be appreciated 🙂