Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Billing Phone Calls

Switched-on

I received two phone calls yesterday from unidentified numbers claiming to be AGL which were a robotic message which started when I picked up the phone; and asked me to click something to proceed. 

Having received the ATO scam calls; the "you've had an accident" scam calls, and another one this week, and being a bit sick of reporting them all to Scamwatch as I do, I of course did not click the number and the call just hung up. 

I checked on my electricity bill and found that it was indeed overdue by about a week, which I missed having been away.    So I paid it. 

If the AGL call was a real one, it beggars belief that AGL would use this method of contacting customers genuinely, about overdue bills, when it has all the hallmarks of a scam.  It wasn't even a real person calling; but it did mention my name.

Perhaps a better way could be considered in future.    I wonder how many people would actually answer that call. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Billing Phone Calls

Switched-on

I received one today claiming an urgent message and directing me to push 1. I also hung up.