Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Bill Smoothing Accounts - Credits and Payment Intervals

Dan
Rookie
Hi AGL,

I was wondering why i recieved an urgent payment reminder (over due) on my gas AND electricity accounts even though i am in credit in each account (5x over the fortnightly payment)?I have not made payment in a month (suppose to be fortnightly) and i may add will continue not to do so until i am no longer in credit.... (switching to a cheaper supplier)
Why would you harrass long term customers for payment even though they are in credit!?
Shouldnt you be thankful for the interest earned on our credit?

Regards,
Dan

10 REPLIES

Re: Bill Smoothing Accounts - Credits and Payment Intervals

AGL Moderator

Hi @Dan

Thanks for your query.

In order to enter a Bill Smoothing agreement, you must agree to pay a certain amount each weel/fortnight/month. The way it is calculated is based on your existing consumption history to forecast your annual consumption costs and divide this by the frequency of payments you choose, be that monthly, fortnightly or weekly. If you're new to AGL and don’t have much consumption history, we’ll estimate your annual consumption based on similar customers.

What I would suggest has happened here is either your consumption habits have changed since the calculation, or, we did not have enough of a sample size and estimated the consumption, and you are using far less than what we had calculated, which has left you in credit. 

Bill smoothing is reviewed eveyr 6 months, so for you to remain on the arrangement, you will need to continue making the payments calculated for that six month period, regardless of the credit on your account. After 6 months of being on a certain amount, the review will determine whether you are paying too much or too little, and adjust accordingly.

We're very sorry if you feel we are harassing you in regards to your payments, but it's simply to let you know that the bill smoothing installment is due and you will need to continue paying that installment while you are entered into that agreement. You can cancel the agreement at any time by giving us a call on 131245, we recommend doing so at least 3 business days before your next payment is due. 

Tags (1)

Drop in

Be careful they speak with forked tongue. Bill smoothing on my account has just been changed and it was less than 6 months ago it was reduced now they want to put it up again. Tech gliche again?

AGL Moderator

Hi @grahami2006

We're sorry you feel we've not treated you fairly here. Bill Smoothing is calculated in a way where you can continue to make monthly payments that will meet the predicted usage for future bills, and is reviewed each 6 months. It may be that upon the time of your review, and looking at past billing, seasonal factors have impacted your bill smoothing moving forward, or alternatively it turns out the payments being made were not keeping up with the subsequent billing. This is precisely why a condition of being on the bill smoothing plan is that we review it, we wan't to make sure that we minimize the risk of customers falling in arrears.

The reason for the increase should have been explained to you, however, if it has not been sufficiently explained, feel free to send me a message with some account information and I'll take a look and provide you with further details.

Tags (1)

Drop in

Hi Nathan,

My account is XXXX XXXX  and I caanot work out why there may be an increase even though my current direct debit will cover my bills.

Also could you tell me how to cancel bill smoothing as it may be an option for me.

AGL Community Manager

Hi @grahami2006,

I've removed your account details from the thread to keep your information safe as per our house keeping guidelines

AGL Moderator

Hi @grahami2006

Thank you for your post, and apologies for the belated reply.

We will be most happy to help you with your request to cancel your bill smoothing, and to answer any account-related enquiries you may have. To do this, please talk to us on Facebook Messenger at m.me/aglenergy, or via web chat at aglener.gy/ChatCom. We will be able to help you on these channels, whenever it suits you. Smiley Happy

Cheers, 

Jordan

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Drop in

I'm in credit now by $733 and still I get letters every month for not paying the smooth billing payment of $108 per fortnight after and it was really not well played as electricity bills were now only a fragment over $140 monthly. I don't think they even have respect for us and what we mean to there company.  Honestly without us there company goes bust so where's our much deserved gratitude. I am not one of them who hasn't paid up. I am worth the VIP. Lounge area with benefits and other people who are over paying the bills makes it so I have to say where is the respect for us. How do we make our much deserved voice heard in the high office.

Retired AGL Moderator

Hi @dahopkins, thank you for letting us know about this request. We have responded to your other post which you can find here. Cheers, Dave.

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Rookie

Hi I need some help