Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Average usage doubled since digital meter installation?

Semiconductor

I've had a 'smart meter' installed Oct 12 and un-funnily enough, my average usage from 19kwh / day prior to this increased immediately to around 35kwh. The lowest day I've had since is 29kwh. Given our house has only 2 occupants, gas for heating, cooking etc. and we've no new appliances, how can this be explained other than bad metering or reading of the data?

August - 15khw

September - 19khw

October - 35kwh+ following the 'smart meter' install ???

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Average usage doubled since digital meter installation?

AGL Moderator

Hi Lonx,

Certainly, that rise in the kwh is a concern, however, I wouldn't suggest that there is enough data there to pinpoint the installation as the reason for the usage rise, at this point it could be an anomaly. I don't blame you for questioning it though and the jump is a cause for concern.

You have suggested that you have added no new appliances in your home and I gather from your enquiry that there has been no change in behavior for energy usage. If you're confident of this,  I would recommend coming and having a chat with us here and our team can perhaps organize an investigation.

Highlighted

Semiconductor

Yes, it is a cause for concern as we've not change any behaviours at all with our daily usage patterns / behaviours and the rise occurred the very day the meter was installed. I was actually overseas that week and don't think my partner could possibly use double electricity if she tried. Usage since the 12th has all been reported online in the range of 25 - 39kwh /day....

I'll submit an enquiry this morning. Out of curiousity, I submitted 2 submissions now via your contact us page as a complaint in relation to the double or triple 'estimate' gas bills I get monthly and was assured they would no longer occur. I haven't had a single response and the first was almost a month ago. Should I receive even an automated acknowledgement message in return?

Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Hey Lonx,

Thanks for getting back to us!

I'm more than happy to look into this for further to clarify your enquiries, but I'll require your account information to do so! I'll ask you send me a private message with your account number and email address, and I'll have a look at things for you further.

Cheers,

Jayden.

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Semiconductor

Thanks Jaydeny,

I spoke with someone from your resolution department yesterday who looked into the billing data and also confirmed the average since the meter install (over a 3 week period) is somewhere around 40kWh as opposed to the 19kWh prior. Mind you, for a moment he tried to tell me this looks normal...

He's advised there's no network level data available yet so he submitted a request for that and told me to basically wait until the bill arrives in a month, then go from there. So I'll sit on the issue until then and watch the billing system tick away dollars in the meantime. I'll send my details over to you anyway but it sounds like there's not much to do until more info is available on your side.

AGL Moderator

Thanks for getting back to me, Lonx!

I've reviewed some information using the details that you've provided me in a private message, and it does look like we're covering all bases at this point to validate the accuracy of your usage data. At this stage, we will have to ask that you wait to receive you next bill, and encourage you to contact us if you have any additional queries after this!

Kind regards,

Jayden.

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.