Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Highlighted

Ausgrid - Seasonal Time of Use

Switched-on

Hi AGL,

I am in an Ausgrid distribution area in Sydney - Ausgrid are introducing Seasonal Time Of Use Pricing (refer https://www.ausgrid.com.au/Connections/Meters/Time-of-use-pricing).

Can you please advise if the seasonal time of use times will be adopted by AGL?

Thanks,

David.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Ausgrid - Seasonal Time of Use

AGL Moderator

Hi dh99999,

Great question!

For the foreseeable future, AGL will not be offering this pricing model I'm sorry say.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.
Highlighted

Switched-on

I see that Energy Australia are passing on the Seasonal Time of Use changes to their customers...  I expect that AGL is benefiting from the new rates, but not passing them on to their customers.  Shame about that.

Highlighted

Switched-on

I contacted AGL on 3 occasions asking the same question - AGL confirmed that I would be billed as per the Ausgrid Seasonal  Time Of Use Structure (even got it in writing from AGL) - so my bill arrives and after checking AGL are still charging me as per the original Time Of Use structure.  AGL are Liars & yes profiteering from all their Ausgrid Time Of Use customers.  

Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Hi UserPP,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We'd like to follow up on this as it's important that that examples of our customer service team handing out incorrect information are addressed. It'd be great if you could send me a private message with your AGL account number so that we're able to take a closer look at this.

We apologise for any frustration caused by this incident.

Kind regards,

Jayden

Highlighted

Switched-on

Dear AGL/jaydeny

Please explain why and how AGL can decide NOT to pass on the Ausgrid Distributors latest seasonal TOU pricing model as begun from July 2018!

The Distributor sets the wholesale price and pricing parameters which it charges the retailer who then passes on these charging parameters and adds its retail margin to the wholesale prices to Consumers.

AGL is the Retailer and Middleman and already charges a retail margin of more than 300% on most of the distributor wholesale prices to consumers...for effectively covering its costs and making a good profit despite effectively adding nothing of critical relevance to the equation!

As retailer you CANNOT choose to not abide by the Distributors charging parameters ESPECIALLY when you are being charged and  paying the Distributor (in the case of seasonal TOU Distributor published TOU parameters) for SHOULDER periods, BUT charging consumers PEAK Prices when in fact the Distributor which sets TOU parameters doesn't!

That's THEFT and highly illegal...The Retailer DOES NOT set which times are Peak, Shoulder or Off Peak charging periods! If a retailer were to decide what was and when it would charge for those periods, the entire TOU Pricing Model and the reason to make it work for both the the Grid and Consumers would be  compromised!

EGAT would have something to say about that as would IPART (maybe) and certainly the Energy Ombudsman! Nor would other Consumers be happy with such edrarious behaviour by AGL who is effectively stealing and claiming peak prices for what is NOT a peak pricing period...especially when it is being charged and paying Wholesale Shoulder prices for it!

PLEASE EXPLAIN how you can decide to not be "offering this pricing model" yet abiding by it with the Distributor who sets it and charges you accordingly.

I look forward to your response and explanation on this matter Asap,

Highlighted

AGL Moderator

Hi Loomy,

Thank you for your post. You're correct in suggesting that energy retailers do not set the times in which these charges are applicable.

The 'Seasonal TOU' pricing model discussed is a new pricing model released by Ausgrid last year which is entirely independent of any previous TOU models. A business decision was made not to adopt this new model and to instead continue offering pre-existing models. As a retailer, we are not under any obligation to adopt these new models irrespective of their availability.

Kind regards,

Jayden

Highlighted

Switched-on

What a croc...charging peak rates when ausgrid charges you shoulder rates!