Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Account name change/ responsibility

Semiconductor
I lived in a shared house where the AGL accounts were under my name. I moved out oversees 6 months ago but continued to have the accounts on my name while the bills were spilt between house mates. Now they have switched from AGL to another supplier (without my approval) and tries to neglect the last payment. What's my position? How can I transfer the account?
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Account name change/ responsibility

Powerhouse

Morning Sasha, 

I'm from the old school were you trust no one, cross all T's and dot all the i's, that way I protect myself. Flat sharing always has the potential to end in disaster, most probably don't, but looks like yours did.

I'm a customer of AGL only, but I would think the responsbility lies with you and you only, the account is in your name only so you shoulder all the responsbility and payment of all accounts in your name, a hindsight wise move would have been to have the meter(s) read and signed off, pay the account and tidy up all affairs before your trip overseas. Trying to recoup the others share sounds like it won't happen.

You have a legal responsbility to pay monies owed that are in your name, silly as it may sound, can you imagine AGL getting involved and absolving you of the last account and chasing your flat mates for the money, that won't happen.

Good luck cause I think your going to need it, you asked the community and the community responded.

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Semiconductor
Hi BWSS, thanks for the reply.

I called AGL and they sort of told me the same, that they can't change the account to someone without their consent.

What I did do was get the contract back to AGL from whomever they switched to. That way they'll have to pay to have supply. Can't AGL interfere in the matter anyway way at all?

Powerhouse

Hi Sasha, 

Your one clever person gaining some ground and control back, well done.You have to remember that AGL like any other business is in business to make money and always take the easy way out, but AGL make those decisions, I just try using common sense in anticipating how people think.

Thinking out aloud now, the contract may be back to AGL but should you now also consider a way to make sure your not liable for electricity your flat mates rack up, if you get the contract back with AGL then have the supply disconnected that would work, let me know how you go as this gets interesting but you have to stay on your toes and keep one step ahead. 

Please remember I am just like you - a customer. If my post has helped, you can click the 'LIKE' button to show your appreciation.

Semiconductor
Well I've got a plan. It's to do with getting out minimum damage. Somehow I got to get them to continue with AGL. Will keep u updated BWSS, thanks for your time. Appreciate it.

Powerhouse

Morning Sasha, I'll keep my fingers crossed then and hope for minimum collateral damage for you. You can also private message me, comes in handy sometimes. It may also be worth doing a private message to someone like JeremyH who seems a nice guy and may be able to give you some pointers within his capacity.

Rob

AGL Moderator

Hi @Sasha

Thanks for reaching out in regards to this. It is a pretty tricky situation indeed for you.

Rob makes some very valid comments above in terms of how to prevent this from happening again in the future and the fact that as the account is under your name, the responsibility lies on you to ensure that the supply and consumption is paid for by the due date if we are to look at this in terms of contracts.

Here's a step by step on what I believe would be beneficial to you moving forward, keeping in mind you've arranged with your ex housemates to stay with AGL:

1. Contact us on 131245 and arrange a move out so that your name is no longer attached to the premises. This will mean that the account will become an "Energy Consumer" account as it's still connected and in use, and to remain connected, somebody living at the premises will need to take responsibility for ongoing usage fromt he date the move out was processed.

2. If you have the appopriate documentation, you may be able to process it as a back-dated move out. So essentially, if you can prove that your name was not on the lease from a certain time, you will not be financially responsible from that time onward.

Highlighted

Powerhouse

Hmmmm, trust Nathan to pull that one out of the bag, no doubt if Sasha did actually get her name removed from the lease then extremely good news, Sasha, give Nathan a big Kudos, I know I would, when this is all finalised!!!

Lets hope others in this community read this one to better understand how flat mates are great, but money speaks more languages.

Rob 

Semiconductor
Woah Nathan what took u so long haha
This is great info. Big thank you. I can prove that I wasn't there since Jan. Will call AGL soon.
To everyone in the community, just be like Rob!

Powerhouse

Thank you for your kind words Sasha.

Most posts here seem fair and friendly but when confronted with over the top nastiness, often aimed at those here to help it does not give one any incentive to help, a bit like ‘do unto others’…….when on the other hand you seek help in a professional manner it can pay dividends, as we saw yesterday, so, to the community, take a deep breath and do like Sasha and others do, be friendly, it just may help. Perhaps it sounds like being preached to, it does work, as an example, I had a recent problem with BitDefender when I changed my email addy, caused quite a nightmare and I felt I was being given lip service and scripted replies, but I persisted, I did not lose my cool. It actually got so bad that somehow I lost the ability to use Total Security and I was reverted back to Internet Security.

Remembering my PC was at all times fully protected and more than two weeks had elapsed, a female agent at BD read carefully all my history on this problem and apologised and said she would fix it all up and added 6 months onto my subscription, next morning I fired up my PC, BD started doing some config stuff and when it finished, no intervention by me, I had the correct software and the 6 months extra. Perhaps this girl was Nathan’s sister, who knows.!!!  Bottom line was, stay cool, persist and you may just get the help you need, and no, as I often state, I don’t work for AGL or get any favours, I’m just a customer like all the community.