Accounts and Billing

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

Search for answers relating to your AGL account or your AGL online services.

AGL ignoring customer meter readings

Switched-on

I have been disputing my gas bills for the last 6 months, as AGL have billed me based on estimated readings that have nothing to do with the actual ones. I have emailed them photos of the meters showing the readings on different dates and have entered those online. However, they have not been used. I just received my latest bill and it is a total travesty. I am being charged for 5 times more gas than I am actually using and after several phone calls nothing has been resolved. The bill actually says that the customer provided those readings, when they are totally different to the ones I gave them. I get passed on from one customer service agent to another and then told to hold while they go to fnd a manager. After 20 minutes on hold nobody comes back on the line and I end up hanging up.

The latest customer resolution agent I spoke to said that they can't help me because this is an issue for the meter reading team. Emailing that team gets me nowhere as all they reply is that my reading is too different to the one supplied by Jemena (which is estimated, not actual) and that they will investigate.

A Jemena technician came to my home to inspect the Hot water meter and found it functioning perfectly. The problem was the communication between the meter and their systems, so he fixed that.

I have been seriously overcharged so have just cancelled my direct debit and will not pay any more bills until this gets resolved. As AGL have no intention to fix their mistakes I am being left with no other choice but write to the Ombudsman and make a public complaint. I will also be closing my account and changing supplier but that won't help to recover the money they have already overcharged me. I am appalled by the way AGL are behaving and effectively stealing from me.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: AGL ignoring customer meter readings

AGL Moderator

Hi Kiwifruit,

Thank you taking the time to provide this feedback.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience with AGL has been fraught with such frustration, despite you doing the right things by us with respect to providing your own meter readings. Needless to say, getting an accurate gas bill should not be made this difficult.

I'd like to see to it that we're doing the right thing by you while we still have you on board as an AGL customer, so if you can send me a private message including your AGL account details and any photographs of your meters, I'll be happy to help further!

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Switched-on

Hi Jayden,

Unfortunately this has not been resolved at all. I decided to terminate my account with AGL and was assured that I would receive a final bill based on an actual final reading. However, that did not happen. My final bill was estimated, as every single one since I opened my account with AGL and this time it was absolutely ludicrous. Your billing department decided to set my initial reading as zero for both my gas meter and my hot water meter and estimated my final readings as 274 and 8503.89 respectively. Based on that my final bill came to $1,610.85 for 15 days of supply, although the apartment had been empty for half of that time already.

SERIOUSLY??

AGL then recalculated the bill using the actual readings for the gas meter and the correct initial reading for the hot water meter, but still estimating the final reading for it. The bill is still hundreds of dollars more than it should have been, as the charges for that period should have come to just $11.53.

AGL have ignored the actual readings I have sent them from the day I opened my account so I have recalculated them using the actual readings. The result is that I don't owe AGL any money, but the other way around. I most definitely will not be paying their final bill and am expecting a refund for the amount I have overpaid.

AGL's service has been appalling from beginning to end and I am really glad I have finally switched to a different supplier. All that is now left for me to do is write to the Ombudsman requesting an investigation into AGL's corporate practices and behaviour. This should not be allowed to continue.

I pity the people who are in a similar situation but do not have photographs of their meter readings to prove they are being ripped off. I wonder how many customers keep paying inflated bills because they do not have access to their meters and don't realise that AGL's estimated readings have nothing to do with reality.

You should be taken to Court and forced to pay a fine.

AGL Moderator

Dear Kiwifruit,

Thank you for your post.

I have just responded to your email, and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Kind regards,

Jayden

If I’ve helped in anyway, please mark my post as SOLVED!

This helps our Community know the answer to common questions.

Switched-on

I am having similar issues with my electricity bill. Meter display fault and got estimated bill. Got meter replaced. I was told by resolution team to wait for reviewed bill. Noticed online account showing overdue so i called i again. Now got told to pay full amount and agl cant do anything about it. By agl  mistake /fault i missed my discount and in debt now. Never ever i delayed my payments. No justification given by agl team. All I need is a reviewed bill. 

AGL Moderator

Hi Liakatali, 

There can be a number of factors that go into reviewing a bill, to get an update on this I would recommend you message us here agl.com.au/contact-us/social/contact-us to get further help for your specific account. 

Thank you 

Best Regards 

Ellen