AGL Solar Exchange Feedback and Suggestions

Ask us questions and let us know what you like or what you’d like to see in AGL Solar Exchange.

Ask us questions and let us know what you like or what you’d like to see in AGL Solar Exchange.

Solar farm

DavidHarris
Switched-on

Dear Sir,

I am writing to you with a suggestion concerning solar farms, borne out of a recent frustrating personal experience.
I owned a house in Daylesford, and I put solar panels on it. I moved to Castlemaine, and put 6.5Kw of solar panels on it. I am in the process of buying a house in Ballarat, but due to shade trees in the street and a neighbouring structure, it may be impractical to install panels. 
I have enjoyed the benefits of panels, and would like to continue to do so.
I think that owning panels also allows me to make a modest contribution to the environment.
It occurred to me that there must be thousands, if not millions of people in the same position as myself in this regard.
So what to do ?
It occurred to me that AGL could help solve this problem.
My suggestion is that AGL build solar farms in which the panels are bought and owned  by consumers like me. AGL becomes the roof top which many of us don't have. AGL owns the land and the infrastructure but the panels are linked to each consumers dwelling. Somebody could have a fifth floor flat in Collins Street, but power his dwelling via solar panels which he owns in a remote AGL solar farm. If he sells his property, he sells his panels with it. The solar farms would be sited in areas to maximise the output of the panels, for example Mildura. Our resident of rainy Collins Street owns efficently producing panels in the Mallee.
Whats in it for AGL ? Well, the company sells to its advantage power produced by panels which it has not paid for. The ownership of panels in such a farm would be linked to retail power supply agreements. AGL would be seen to be making another contribution to the renewable idea. 
It seems to me that this arrangement might prove more popular than the offsite solar options now on offer.
I hope the above may be of some interest to you, and look forward to hearing your thoughts,
Regards,
David Harris 
2 Comments
AGL Community Manager
Status changed to: New

Hi @DavidHarris , thanks for contributing your suggestion. Are you aware of AGL's Offsite Solar offer?

AGL Community Manager
Status changed to: Delivered